Infrastructure / Internal Changes

Started 11 Jun 2020
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
Some major infrastructure changes are going to happen in the very near future:

1) The wiki will likely go offline for a couple days
2) We will switch to a new forum, it will have almost the same appearance, for users the only real difference should be that a few rarely used features might be missing
3) Patch notes will each get / become their own thread enabling comments, the website and gameserver will use those threads as the patch notes data source
4) Bug tracker issues will get / become their own threads making the current bug tracker just an alternative, specialized view into them but keeping it simple for players to comment or report new issues
5) Wiki pages will become their own threads, a simplified "wiki" will be relaunched using those threads as the data source

The basic jist is the forum is in the process of being rewritten to make modifications / extensions easier, the first example of that is the centralization of a lot of things into it.
This change will also enable us to have a couple external tools / web apps, for example a market explorer, to interact with the gameserver. However, these web apps will come at a later time.
Thu 11 Jun 2020 4:56 PM by Centenario
I have played Path of Exile in the past, I must say that tools such as:
poe.ninja
poe.trade
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/

are enhancing the game experience by a lot.

It would be good to improve via tool:
- marketplace
- search for exp spot
- task item list and location by mob type
- formulas wiki
- patch note history and search
- suggestions
- feedback collection
- voting
- user/player integration
- bug report ofc
Thu 11 Jun 2020 9:04 PM by char
If you're thinking about web content that interacts with the game server (e.g. the market explorer), a page showing the realm war map with keep/tower status would be great.
Thu 11 Jun 2020 10:22 PM by gotwqqd
I just tried to find some items for an ns template
How horrific

Hopefully this integration will allow a search/order of items in marketplace
Fri 19 Jun 2020 12:39 PM by Centenario
On the french forums back in the days (https://forums.jeuxonline.info/forum/81/daoc-general) forum users could get ranks:
10 ranks like the DAoC exp bar, growing with each post.

On the PoE forums users can also get banners etc... (supporter titles)

On League of Legends you could honor players for 3 types of honorable styles.

I am not asking for some e-peen customization, rather some way to have new users vs toxic users vs useful users vs expert users vs etc.... differentiation.

If a user constantly spams (like me) with bad content (hope not) then he could risk to receive a bad forum score (would have to be careful of mob mentality downgrading of posts too).

If a user has few very informative posts he can get that kind of recognitions etc...

Also if we could filter post by user type would be nice too.

Maybe that can all be taken care of with the signature or with some kinds of Tags that users can choose (max 3)

Centenario [PvE] [Alb] [Spam] ^^
Razur [1v1] [Champ] [Hib]
Sat 4 Jul 2020 2:03 AM by gruenesschaf
Took a bit longer than expected but the initial forum rewrite is now done.

There are some annoyances left that will be fixed over the next couple days, e. g. date / time is currently server time only.
Quite a few features were cut and aside from some member list most will stay gone unless there is an actual demand for something.

Next step here is integrating and reopening the wiki again, afterwards it's having the patch notes in here and finally integrating the bug tracker. This should be completed sometime next week.

As for entirely new features like the ones suggested by Centenario, suggestions are always welcome for that but after the things above, the tooling focus will first shift to something like the title or market explorer web apps.
Sat 4 Jul 2020 1:29 PM by Shamissa
I like the idea of Internal Changes. Will be more organized. Great thinking @ Gruenesschaf Thank you !!!
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics