Realm Timer

Started 2 May 2020
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
We would like to change the way the realm timer works, first the background / reasoning:
The primary reason for us why we have a (longish) realm timer in the first place is that we want to keep the zerg gameplay somewhat stable on a given day.
On the other hand, not having a realm timer would be beneficial for a pvp ruleset or leveling.

The planned change is as such:
The timer will only start if you are in any way involved in a player or mob kill in NF, DF, the PoC or Summoners Hall.
The duration of the timer remains at 4 hours, however, the timer no longer prevents you from logging in to another realm, instead you are just unable to enter the aforementioned regions on any realm but the one that caused your timer.
There will be a command that shows the remaining timer and the realm you are locked to.

Please note that logging to another realm to flame people would have consequences.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:31 PM by Astaa
A very nice compromise.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:36 PM by Tuskunato
I fully support this and I can finally play with my friends when they're actually on! also my alt-itis loves this idea.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:37 PM by Delegator
Well thought out. Being able to level or farm on one realm and pvp on another is a nice quality of life benefit. And people already know when things like dungeon raids are happening anyway.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:38 PM by The Skies Asunder
This would be a fantastic change, that I fully support.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:39 PM by Pogmothan
Whats the point, just remove the timer completely.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:40 PM by Stynkfyst28
gruenesschaf wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 1:29 PM
We would like to change the way the realm timer works, first the background / reasoning:
The primary reason for us why we have a (longish) realm timer in the first place is that we want to keep the zerg gameplay somewhat stable on a given day.
On the other hand, not having a realm timer would be beneficial for a pvp ruleset or leveling.

The timer will only start if you are in any way involved in a player or mob kill in NF, DF, the PoC or Summoners Hall.
The duration of the timer remains at 4 hours, however, the timer no longer prevents you from logging in to another realm, instead you are just unable to enter the aforementioned regions on any realm but the one that caused your timer.
There will be a command that shows the remaining timer and the realm you are locked to.

Please note that logging to another realm to flame people would have consequences.

sounds like you are trying to do to much for no damn reason. sorry but this is a horrible idea.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:41 PM by dbj
As someone who's deleted toons in their 30s before, just to be able to change realm immediately, I really welcome this change. Any chance of a char restore, btw?
Sat 2 May 2020 1:42 PM by Zouz
Stynkfyst28 = Pilzpower?
Sat 2 May 2020 1:42 PM by Razur Ur
No timer for battle ground how thidranki?

vote for reduce of realm timer 30 Minutes!!!
Sat 2 May 2020 1:45 PM by JaggedOne
A smaller person than moi might say that all their whining, b1tching, and carping about the realm timer contributed to bringing this about, but since I am *so* evolved (cough cough), I will just say wow, what an awesome solution to that which so many of us have....well, whined, b1tched and complained about for so long.

I salute you guys, once again you have lived up to my expectations.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:50 PM by Jwatts86
I think you should put in a line of code that you have to actually be in said zone to do /who for that zone with this change, for example if i'm in Jordheim i cant do /who pass of conflict.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:53 PM by Faan
gruenesschaf wrote:

Finally! Tyvm I can switch realms for DS now!!
Sat 2 May 2020 1:57 PM by lohk
I'm down for this, let's make it active straight away.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:59 PM by Meandow
Nice!
Sat 2 May 2020 2:01 PM by bondric
gruenesschaf wrote:

great idea. a lot of time i just entered a realm and regret to not find a xp a grp os smtg and wanted to swtich. or maybe just want to access my house on one and then do rvr on another. this idea is awesome
Sat 2 May 2020 2:05 PM by leb
xping without DF, ZF or POC , bad compromise
Sat 2 May 2020 2:31 PM by Ethward
Im totally for this but i see some small issues. like people logging over /bg joining and then going back to main realm and things like this. if theres a way to sort that out then should be good.
Sat 2 May 2020 2:37 PM by Eoril
"we want to keep the zerg gameplay somewhat stable on a given day."

shorter timer (1H or 2H at worst) will not make zerg gameplay less stable...
Sat 2 May 2020 2:50 PM by DarkDavion
Daoc has always prevented changing realms easily and has always worked well. This can lead to too many side effects as others have already mentioned. If ppl rly want this just reduce the timer again (and in any case not under 2 hours)
Sat 2 May 2020 3:11 PM by Tuskunato
leb wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 2:05 PM

you know XP items are a thing right?
Sat 2 May 2020 3:14 PM by WildWilbur
Good idea! Period!
Sat 2 May 2020 3:16 PM by Loki
/facepalm
Sat 2 May 2020 3:22 PM by bigne88
Lovelly, thanks.
Sat 2 May 2020 3:52 PM by glennm
A clever solution. You may want to apply this to instances like Darkspire as well though.
Sat 2 May 2020 4:14 PM by MeatBicycle
What does that mean for 2 accounts in the same house? At the moment i'm not allowed to log hib/alb while my girlfriend is playing in mid. And as far as i know i have to wait 4h for her realm timer before i can log into another realm. How does that work with this new system? Is it still considered crossrealming logging into another realm while her realm timer is active or can i pve in another realm for example?
Sat 2 May 2020 4:23 PM by Riac
Tuskunato wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 3:11 PM
leb wrote:

you know XP items are a thing right?
they have a video on this forum of some dude going 1-50 in like 30 mins with xp items.
also, there are PLENTY of other places to lvl outside of the ones named. a whole realms worth.
Sat 2 May 2020 4:28 PM by Quik
I find it amazing that they come up with such a good compromise, and yet people still need to act like this is going to ruin the entire game for them.

It's a game people, stop acting like your life is ruined.
Sat 2 May 2020 4:46 PM by Meandow
leb wrote:

You're kidding right? You can still level there, just it will trigger the realm timer? How is that a bad compromise? If anything it's a great compromise.
Sat 2 May 2020 5:52 PM by chryso
MeatBicycle wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 4:14 PM
What does that mean for 2 accounts in the same house? At the moment i'm not allowed to log hib/alb while my girlfriend is playing in mid. And as far as i know i have to wait 4h for her realm timer before i can log into another realm. How does that work with this new system? Is it still considered crossrealming logging into another realm while her realm timer is active or can i pve in another realm for example?

Great question.

Also, what if the character I want to log in to on another realm is already in a rvr zone? Will it just port them out? (hopefully) or will I not be able to log that character?
Sat 2 May 2020 5:58 PM by gruenesschaf
chryso wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 5:52 PM
Also, what if the character I want to log in to on another realm is already in a rvr zone? Will it just port them out? (hopefully) or will I not be able to log that character?

Entering those locked regions, either by logging in or teleporting there, will teleport your character to your main city.
Sat 2 May 2020 6:25 PM by stonesouldier
I've suggested this so many times on live .... This is nice. Lets people deal with housing stuff, XP, pve raids etc. Yet if you want the best XP access you still have to deal with timers which is a reasonable trade-off.

As far as people joining battlegroups, you don't think there are people in discord/vent/ts in the same way? If you expect that to be solved do it yourself. Lock down the access to the comms that you setup or just have realistic expectations that if it's public, it's public.
Sat 2 May 2020 7:24 PM by Prometheus
The only issue I see is every realm will instantly know when there's any kind of raid going on but I guess through discord you would really have no way to prevent this anyways.

So, yes seems like a great change to me even though I don't play any other realm but Hibernia.
Sat 2 May 2020 7:37 PM by Gurkk
R.I.P Mid PVE ,everyone will play Animist / cabby/necro etc......
Mid need love.(give our SM a dd in pbae line for exemple , look at others casters....its a SHAME, and good spot PVE with good salvaging loots like alb/hib.)
Bad idea.
Sat 2 May 2020 8:11 PM by Lanathir
Gone the old times of realm pride...
Sat 2 May 2020 8:20 PM by Kurbsen
baby steps, next is getting rid of the timer all together.. great job, I cant wait for this; great change!
Sat 2 May 2020 8:21 PM by Durzo
This would be an amazing change!
Sat 2 May 2020 8:22 PM by Quik
Lanathir wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 8:11 PM

I love people who want to force realm pride on other players in a game...
Sat 2 May 2020 9:17 PM by Curax
gruenesschaf wrote:
[...]
[...]

Just for clarification: Would the single act of healing another player in one of the aforementioned zones constitute participation in the killing of a player or mob, if the player being healed was involved in such act? E.g. a healing class heals someone that (i) is actively fighting a player/mob, or (ii) asks for a heal after fighting a player or mob? Would taking damage or even dying (in rvr) without further involvement in any fighting activities trigger the realm switch timer (e.g. logging in in an RvR zone and getting killed by mobs/players or suiciding on mobs/players/guards)?
Sat 2 May 2020 9:37 PM by Quik
Curax wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 9:17 PM
gruenesschaf wrote:
[...]
[...]

Just for clarification: Would the single act of healing another player in one of the aforementioned zones constitute participation in the killing of a player or mob, if the player being healed was involved in such act? E.g. a healing class heals someone that (i) is actively fighting a player/mob, or (ii) asks for a heal after fighting a player or mob? Would taking damage or even dying (in rvr) without further involvement in any fighting activities trigger the realm switch timer (e.g. logging in in an RvR zone and getting killed by mobs/players or suiciding on mobs/players/guards)?

I am wondering this also.

What about just porting to frontiers but not leaving that starter area?
Sat 2 May 2020 10:06 PM by Faan
gruenesschaf wrote:

If you kill mob/player u are locked, okay. But what if u get killed by a mob/player in RvR Zone?
Sat 2 May 2020 11:19 PM by AngelBratt
What about battlegrounds? This would ruin Thid. 😕
Sat 2 May 2020 11:29 PM by JaggedOne
AngelBratt wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 11:19 PM

This would allow someone to pick which realm they want to play for in Thid at a given time.
How in the world would this "ruin" Thid ?
Sun 3 May 2020 12:28 AM by Patron
gruenesschaf wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 5:58 PM
chryso wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 5:52 PM

Entering those locked regions, either by logging in or teleporting there, will teleport your character to your main city.
Hi, does this means, when i am log off in frontiers or df at the end of the day, and logging in next day, i get teleported to Capital City? If yes, i would dislike it...
Thx
Sun 3 May 2020 12:51 AM by easytoremember
Is it possible to omit '/who' lists from the same zones you're blocked from entering?

i.e. You can't enter PoC and you can't see anyone with '/who' that is inside PoC; using '/who 40' would not show any lv40 names from PoC, and '/who conflict' would likely return 0 names
Sun 3 May 2020 1:05 AM by gruenesschaf
Patron wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 12:28 AM
Hi, does this means, when i am log off in frontiers or df at the end of the day, and logging in next day, i get teleported to Capital City? If yes, i would dislike it...
Thx

The teleporting would only happen if you try to access a region covered by the realm timer while your realm timer is still active.
Sun 3 May 2020 7:24 AM by Raagnarr
AngelBratt wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 11:19 PM

Ruin thid, How? It's quite obvious by this ignorant post that my 10 year old daughter has better reading comprehension skills than you..
Sun 3 May 2020 7:33 AM by Adwaenyth
Would the 4h timer refresh on any interaction in a RvR zone or would it just start, wind down and you could enter RvR on another realm after the initial 4h would expire regardless of what you did in those 4h on the original realm?
Sun 3 May 2020 9:29 AM by Patron
gruenesschaf wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 1:05 AM
The teleporting would only happen if you try to access a region covered by the realm timer while your realm timer is still active.
So, when i going off in DF at 1400 and coming back to same char at 1700 i get teleported out of df?
Sorry for my stupid questions, i just want to get the whole patch
Sun 3 May 2020 10:59 AM by Gohanssj
Lanathir wrote:

yes about 18 years ago, lol realm pride is such a ridiculous phrase
Sun 3 May 2020 11:03 AM by Patron
gruenesschaf wrote:

Answering for myself...
In my understanding its just the case for porting in capitalcity´s, when logging on different realms while timer running. And this make perfectly sense.
Thx!
Sun 3 May 2020 11:05 AM by Patron
Gohanssj wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 10:59 AM
Lanathir wrote:

yes about 18 years ago, lol realm pride is such a ridiculous phrase

There would be still only 1 realm my passion belongs.
But thats just me, everyone should play as he like.
Sun 3 May 2020 11:23 AM by Sepplord
I have a clarifaction question:
Are the pvp-zones you listed cjecked for seperstely, or is it one trigger thats either inactive or active?

Aka, could i level on albion in DF, get ganked and then log lnto my mid and go into the frontier (and would only be blocked from DF?). Or would the participation in pvp in DF trigger the realmtimer and i couldn't go into any rvr-zone on a different tealm for 4hour?

Bonusquestion: were the zones examples for areas where pvp happens or are all other zones (aka Battlegrounds and the coming pvp-zones/events) excluded and do NOT trigger realmtimer?
Sun 3 May 2020 2:32 PM by Wakanidoo
Amazing.... what i wrote Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:59 am ?

Wakanidoo wrote: Re: Realm Timer - Ingame Player Vote
Again the developers have not understood that cross-realming is damaging only in case of DIRECT intervention (ie change realm to help take/defend a relic) in an event that concerns the 3 kingdoms, mainly takes of relics.
There are many players who are not interested in these unwanted interventions, but interested in the game itself, and want to play the realm they want when they want.
To bring together these two conditions (to prevent unwanted interactions and to allow free play) is nevertheless extremely simple:
A player can connect IMMEDIATELY to the realm of his choice, except that he can only access Frontier/Darkness Falls (or any others common areas) after a certain TIMER if he was previously connected to another realm.
Currently your discussions only concern the duration of the Timer, but not its position in the game.
The Timer exists, just check its activity at the time of connection to allow or not the logging of a character in a prohibited area. Once the character is connected, simply forbid access to prohibited areas until the timer has elapsed.
At each logging, the game checks on which realm the player was previously logged in and reactivates the timer if necessary.

Is it so hard to implement ?

Report this post 0 x
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:59 am

A big thank you to the staff for taking into account the good ideas of the members of the forum! Together we will go far
Sun 3 May 2020 3:22 PM by Patron
Wakanidoo the prophet
Sun 3 May 2020 8:20 PM by VonSchneider
You write the timer only starts if I am in any way involved in a mob or player kill.
So theoretically I could have 3 chars logged in Frontiers, 1 per realm, read the BG as I am in Frontier zones, read the region chats and completely spy both the other enemy realms as long as I dont kill anything?
Wont do as Ill never leave my beloved Hibernia, but I fear this would be exploited.
Sun 3 May 2020 8:21 PM by Sagz
Lanathir wrote:

Realm pride? when was there really ever realm pride, I would bet not 1 person, in this game since launch, have ever played only 1 realm..........
Sun 3 May 2020 8:24 PM by Sagz
VonSchneider wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 8:20 PM
You write the timer only starts if I am in any way involved in a mob or player kill.
So theoretically I could have 3 chars logged in Frontiers, 1 per realm, read the BG as I am in Frontier zones, read the region chats and completely spy both the other enemy realms as long as I dont kill anything?
Wont do as Ill never leave my beloved Hibernia, but I fear this would be exploited.

If you think, that someone would really log into a realm see what the BG is doing, then log off to go to another realm and spam region chat, then log off log back in to spy again your insane. There is no way someone would continually do this with 0 benefit (RPS etc).

If they wanted to spy, they would just have all 3 the main BG discord channels and spy that way.....you know, like they do now
Sun 3 May 2020 8:27 PM by Sagz
gruenesschaf wrote:

What is the command to see timer? if that is implemented yet.

Thanks
Sun 3 May 2020 8:31 PM by stewbeedoo
A fantastic change!

Awesome to be able to PvE on any realm, any time.

I may even roll some Albs and Mids now.
Sun 3 May 2020 9:23 PM by Riac
Sagz wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 8:21 PM
Lanathir wrote:

Realm pride? when was there really ever realm pride, I would bet not 1 person, in this game since launch, have ever played only 1 realm..........
i only played 1 realm, hib, up till now. but it sure as shit was not due to realm pride rofl. i just like playing very few chars to max my progress and i dont like learning new landscapes and mob locations.
lol realm pride, nah.
tbh i dont even like my realm mates and cant wait to kill them in the solo zone.
sb w/ bane of midgard inc
Sun 3 May 2020 9:25 PM by Quik
Riac wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 9:23 PM
tbh i dont even like my realm mates and cant wait to kill them in the solo zone.

This made me LOL
Mon 4 May 2020 2:00 AM by Kaseylol
Any know the command to view realm switch timer countdown?
Mon 4 May 2020 10:19 AM by watbrif
Of course "realm pride" isn't a thing (it's a game after all). But what "realm pride" did was making people commit to their realm. It's simply easier to build a community (guilds, alliances) and make friends if you know that these people stick around. But, alas, the social aspect doesn't seem to be a priority for people.
Mon 4 May 2020 5:12 PM by Quik
watbrif wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 10:19 AM
Of course "realm pride" isn't a thing (it's a game after all). But what "realm pride" did was making people commit to their realm. It's simply easier to build a community (guilds, alliances) and make friends if you know that these people stick around. But, alas, the social aspect doesn't seem to be a priority for people.

Well the flip side to this is that now people will be able to test other realms easier and maybe find that social atmosphere that works for them. If you are only on 1 realm you never get a chance to meet other people on other realms except in combat, now this gives people a chance to maybe try out new guilds and new friends and a new home.

I personally only play Mid and have for quite awhile and will continue there, but I have no problems with people liking to move around because they are bored or want to try a new alt. This allows that.
Mon 4 May 2020 8:21 PM by gotwqqd
This is going to make same realm rule in household a nightmare
Mon 4 May 2020 8:31 PM by Quik
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 8:21 PM
This is going to make same realm rule in household a nightmare

Yep and the dev's need to address this because it is already causing confusion and I haven't seen an official response.
Mon 4 May 2020 8:52 PM by Uthred
Just check our rules, it is already in:

If you play from the same household (example: husband and wife, father and son etc.) you must play the same realmin RvR zones. If you try to play different realmsin RvR zones, it will be considered cross-realming.

In different words: If the same household wants to play RvR together, they need to log the same realm.
But if one member is in RvR as Hib, it is totally fine for other members of the same household to log mid/alb and do Pve or PvP.
Mon 4 May 2020 9:04 PM by Quik
Uthred wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 8:52 PM

If you play from the same household (example: husband and wife, father and son etc.) you must play the same realmin RvR zones. If you try to play different realmsin RvR zones, it will be considered cross-realming.

In different words: If the same household wants to play RvR together, they need to log the same realm.
But if one member is in RvR as Hib, it is totally fine for other members of the same household to log mid/alb and do Pve or PvP.

Not to make it overly confusing, but what if the 4 hour window has passed and a family member wants to play on a different rvr realm?
Tue 5 May 2020 7:09 AM by Sepplord
Quik wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 9:04 PM
Uthred wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 8:52 PM

Not to make it overly confusing, but what if the 4 hour window has passed and a family member wants to play on a different rvr realm?

It's quite obvious isn't it?
If noone was in RvR for the last 4hours you can play RvR whereever you want
Wed 6 May 2020 11:21 AM by egh9cu
Seems like off-peak zerging by a single realm has been worse since this change and FZ pops appear to be way more lopsided. I imagine that people are logging in to different realms to see who has a BG going then joining that realm.
Fri 8 May 2020 6:19 AM by joshisanonymous
Feels like a decent solution on paper but weird when implemented. I play one realm only, and if I'm in a BG but not yet in the Frontier, I can't see what anyone is saying, yet someone can log into my realm, do /who whatever zone, then head back to their own realm to report where enemies are. I'm sure there are other weird side effects, too.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics