Permanent PvP Zone

Started 2 May 2020
by gruenesschaf
in Planned Changes
We would like to have a separate pvp zone permanently active, this would be very similar to the last stygia / green glades pvp event.

There will be to start with 2 instances of a toa zone, one for solos and another for small man, the small man group size will start with 5 and may or may not be adjusted just like in the event.
The zone will likely rotate in some fashion, however, it will always be the same for both instances at the same time, and depending on feedback other zones might become part of the rotation.

While we believe that such a zone would be a net benefit at this time nobody has a crystal ball and as such we will monitor the feedback closely, especially once the zone is up for longer than a typical event duration and act from there.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:41 PM by _Dax_
Sweet!! Make the 5vs5 one to 3vs3 tho, It was the first pvp event and by far the best one! Green glade baby!!!
Sat 2 May 2020 1:44 PM by Zouz
3v3 is garbage, 5 or 6 is the way.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:46 PM by Razur Ur
plz do it this 5vs5 only for event but not for perma! we lose to many guys in the frontiers with this change.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:46 PM by VonSchneider
Will we get RPs for fighting there or will it be like the event?
Sat 2 May 2020 1:51 PM by Uthred
VonSchneider wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 1:46 PM

You will get the regular RPs, Bps, XP and gold.
Sat 2 May 2020 1:51 PM by Zzang
I would love to see this change even though I do think it will turn to be pretty lopsided over time, especially if certain groups of players end up forming groups that outperform others. Wonderful idea though and looking forward to see what happens.
Sat 2 May 2020 2:07 PM by _Dax_
Zzang wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 1:51 PM
I would love to see this change even though I do think it will turn to be pretty lopsided over time, especially if certain groups of players end up forming groups that outperform others. Wonderful idea though and looking forward to see what happens.

Thats why it needs to be 3vs3. Every grp dont have all the tools that (apparently someone in this thread) needs to kill something. . There is also ALOT of setups that can be made out of 3vs3.
Sat 2 May 2020 2:10 PM by Darkcleaver
Solo zone would be fun, although I would like to avoid it being just a bunch of duels. I really like live 1v1s vs. set up /bow dueling.
Sat 2 May 2020 2:29 PM by msitruk
Thèse perma zones will be inter realm like event ?
Sat 2 May 2020 2:30 PM by faliv
What is to be achieved by this?
Sat 2 May 2020 2:31 PM by Caemma
_Dax_ wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 2:07 PM
Zzang wrote:

Thats why it needs to be 3vs3. Every grp dont have all the tools that (apparently someone in this thread) needs to kill something. . There is also ALOT of setups that can be made out of 3vs3.
3v3 is more casual, open setup.
5v5 is more competitive since you can access to all tools in theory.

For example, the groupsize could rotate each day, so that you can form up / coordinate in time.

Would be nice to have a command to see the current leaderboard of the teams and scale the kill rewards based on such.
It would make life harder for who is winning the most, and incentivate who is losing cause of the reward bonus the would get once they win/kill something.
Sat 2 May 2020 2:33 PM by Vkejai
This will turn into an rp farm.
Sat 2 May 2020 2:34 PM by Riac
Vkejai wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 2:33 PM
This will turn into an rp farm.
you mean like the zergers that flip keeps continuously? atleast in here you actually have to kill ppl to get rps.
Sat 2 May 2020 2:36 PM by ggregybc
In my opinion, 3v3 would be awesome.

As _Dex_ already mentioned, 3v3 has lots of possible competitive setups.

More possible setups => more fun imo
Sat 2 May 2020 2:55 PM by DarkDavion
THIS!
This would be a beautiful DREAM! So when there is no action in RvR there is always something fun to do! Great! I also get together to insert the 3v3 too! Do it! it would be wonderful!
Sat 2 May 2020 3:00 PM by Delegator
If you add this, can we get a chat filter to eliminate spam from the whiners who complain about people adding to their 1v1 when they insist on fighting at docks and bridges?
Sat 2 May 2020 3:15 PM by kensing
Absolutely love it!
Sat 2 May 2020 3:21 PM by Azuell
Definitely prefer group size of 3.
Sat 2 May 2020 3:24 PM by bigne88
Sweet
Sat 2 May 2020 3:47 PM by glennm
A solo zone is a welcome addition
Sat 2 May 2020 3:57 PM by samuele2723
i see advantage for the solo zone, at the moment is just impossible to do that on frontier.

About the smallman pvp, has to stay very small.. like 3 or 4 grp cap otherwise is going to kill all the NF casual action..

nevertheless, this could get the frontiers more free to get nice 8vs8 no add
Sat 2 May 2020 4:05 PM by shintacki
+1 for the idea to make it a 3man max. The arena is 5v5, make this a little different and possibly more casual with a limit of 3.
Sat 2 May 2020 4:09 PM by Astaa
Even as a soloer, sick and tired of getting zerged by bad players, I have some reservations about this, mostly about spreading people too thin. The server is booming at the moment but you have to be careful not to to dilute it too much. I think you will have to keep a very close eye on how it goes.

Thanks for coming up with new and interesting ideas, it's very welcome.
Sat 2 May 2020 5:09 PM by Nephamael
I appreciate doing something about the solos and smallmen even tho i would have prefered a non instance zone with instant teleport as i like the open field inc style, but i guess this version will satisfy the classic duellers and maybe bring back 200-300 ppl to the server that left cause of the small v 1 and 8v1 problem in frontier.

-------------
EDIT: After the testing you completely convinced me it was tons of fun and will be when its permanent!

just need to add

1) Hasteners all over the map

2) narrow the zone for low pop times
Sat 2 May 2020 5:20 PM by Cadebrennus
gruenesschaf wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 1:28 PM
We would like to have a separate pvp zone permanently active, this would be very similar to the last stygia / green glades pvp event.

There will be to start with 2 instances of a toa zone, one for solos and another for small man, the small man group size will start with 5 and may or may not be adjusted just like in the event.
The zone will likely rotate in some fashion, however, it will always be the same for both instances at the same time, and depending on feedback other zones might become part of the rotation.

While we believe that such a zone would be a net benefit at this time nobody has a crystal ball and as such we will monitor the feedback closely, especially once the zone is up for longer than a typical event duration and act from there.
RPs in a full time PvP zone (where you can kill realm mates) is a terrible idea. It is ripe for abuse and stupidity, and kills the spirit of the game.

Why not just open up the TOA zone as a single zone where all three realms can PvE and still kill each other? Exactly like the ML10 encounter?
Sat 2 May 2020 6:10 PM by Astaa
Because, frankly, it will still be full of useless people that base their entertainment gained by RPs earned.
Sat 2 May 2020 6:43 PM by easytoremember
faliv wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 2:30 PM
What is to be achieved by this?
fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Sat 2 May 2020 6:51 PM by Cadebrennus
Since the Devs keep deleting my image embedded posts that state an opinion, I'll just type it out here:

If Phoenix devs implement a full time PvP zone that grants RPs, the Phoenix server will have officially jumped the shark.
Sat 2 May 2020 6:58 PM by Riac
Better than getting zerged all day. You dont have to play in the zone if you don't want. I'm sure some noobs will still be beating on doors for rps.
Sat 2 May 2020 7:55 PM by Jojones
This would be awesome! I like the 3vs3 idea too. Good job
Sat 2 May 2020 8:17 PM by Cadebrennus
Riac wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 6:58 PM
Better than getting zerged all day. You dont have to play in the zone if you don't want. I'm sure some noobs will still be beating on doors for rps.

What's the point of an RvR game if there is a PvP zone to fight your realm mates and make RPs from killing them? A server like that had a time and place, and it was called Mordred. Did you play there? I did.
Sat 2 May 2020 8:18 PM by Kurbsen
one of the best things to be implemented on this server good job
Sat 2 May 2020 8:21 PM by Riac
I did not, but I saw the videos and it looked really fun.
Idc about the intent of the rvr system idc about keeps, relics, df, or any of that other shit. Im just trying to fight ppl. Getting zerged everyday by noobs is tiring, it's not even a fight. It may still happen in the zone but atleast they won't have the benefit of group abilities, buffs, ras, or map locations.
Sat 2 May 2020 9:31 PM by joshisanonymous
Uthred wrote:
VonSchneider wrote:

Definitely 100% against this. If we have to have dedicated PvP zones for arena-style, equal group-size fights, then make them like /duels but between realms.
Sat 2 May 2020 11:12 PM by gotwqqd
joshisanonymous wrote:
Sat 2 May 2020 9:31 PM
Uthred wrote:
VonSchneider wrote:

Definitely 100% against this. If we have to have dedicated PvP zones for arena-style, equal group-size fights, then make them like /duels but between realms.

Completely agree
At the very least no rp’s awarded
Sat 2 May 2020 11:41 PM by Vkejai
I'm all for arena but with no Rps
Sun 3 May 2020 12:00 AM by Pedro
I'm against this.

It's true that the game has evolved a lot and many seems to like more 5v5 or 8v8, but a big core of the game is Realm vs Realm, which is all of us, vs all of them vs the other realm!

Not to mention that this zone would also take away players from the frontiers, some will even ignore relic defense/offense, when now it benefits them to help as they get their RPs.

As it was pointed out before, if this is something that will happen, then remove RP gain from it, leave it for fun, kicks, exp and gold. But leave the Realm Points in the Realm vs Realm Frontiers.
Sun 3 May 2020 1:24 AM by Azuell
It's not an arena. I think a lot of people aren't understanding that.

Also most of the people who will use this aren't doing keep/relic fights anyways so I don't think it will affect that.
Sun 3 May 2020 2:25 AM by joshisanonymous
Azuell wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 1:24 AM
It's not an arena. I think a lot of people aren't understanding that.

Also most of the people who will use this aren't doing keep/relic fights anyways so I don't think it will affect that.

You're right; I misunderstood and took this to mean "arena" when it really means something like "Mordred but only same-size groups." I still don't like the idea of building literal solo zones and 3v3 zones and 8v8 zones and whatever. It will pull people out of the frontier and make it easier for people who aren't willing to takes the risks of running smaller groups or aren't able to manage those risks to get the same RPs that people who like that style of play get.

If there's a problem convincing people to roam in 8 or less, there should just be more incentives to do so, not fewer risks.
Sun 3 May 2020 2:54 AM by Killaloth
I'm all in for a hopefully 5vs5 zone. We just ended the RvR night being zerged down non stop by the confederation of mouse clickers and keyboard turners reunited

A PvP area sounds great. Who likes to pvdoor can pvdoor, who likes to zerg can clash with likeminded people, who wants to use some neurons with more competitive rvr can try the PvP zone.

Everyone can have their own version of fun and the RR11+ list can extend happily over 160 players regardless of how the rank is achieved. A great idea and a win-win for all.

If possible please let's vote about bard amnesia in the PvP zone. The majority of people that play often in 8man, enemies included, would vote to revert the change. If easy to implement we could then split classic PvP DAoC where all mechanics work as usual and custom Phoenix DAoC where classes are changed by what the majority ask and sometimes complain about. I am not being sarcastic, you don't need custom changes for zerg fests and pvdoor, why impacting everyone? If technically viable I'd love to see genuine classic DAoC in the PvP zone or at least allow people playing more often in the zone to have a say.
Sun 3 May 2020 6:20 AM by Casimir
Toa was the end of DAOC definitly...

People joined Phoenix especially BECAUSE it was under Old Frontier mod... New Frontier was plugged and some left the game.

On alb side they already cry when a Sidi event (or a Drake, AC or else) is done meanwhile mass rvr time cause one empty the other.

MMORPG mean : massively multiplayer online role-playing game and more you divide events more the massively multiplayer is dilute and spread.

And this should kill the main "casual" rvr...

For me it s a good idea but you should lost people again if too much events diversify all the game and his basics...

Ps : Sorry for my english.
Sun 3 May 2020 7:08 AM by SlowMo
Great as a temp event, but permanently?
It kills the idea of the realm vs realm.
And isn’t this was daoc is all about?

Will definitely hurt the frontier rvr.
Sun 3 May 2020 7:17 AM by evert
I think it's good as an event but not permanently. Most of the fun of daoc is from the open-world pvp and not knowing what you will face, don't think 1vs1 3vs3 or whatever is the only kind of fight that's fun. Much more fun to be a duo killing waves of adds or a solo killing a duo or a 5man wiping a FG, etc (or even a low rr duo fighting a really tough solo). Yes it sucks getting rolled by bigger numbers but I'm totally against something that splits up the playerbase and enforces that kind of arena feeling.

Edit: IMO this seems redundant with the arena event. why not see how that goes before you add yet another extra pvp area?
Sun 3 May 2020 7:26 AM by Mirelind
Solo zone would totally cut out healers and support classes to some degree. Where as dps mellee and casters could do both solo and small man instances, I really see a bigger disadvantage for supporter if the small man zone is quite on a particular day.

Also how would you police a solo zone where people specifically go around healing or helping out friends in a so called solo zone?
Sun 3 May 2020 10:52 AM by Vindicator
I think the area event you have coming in a seasons format makes much more sense. Not available every night, all the time.

This will kill smallman action completely, people will either Zerg or only roll out in a fg.

If the zone was worth no realm points then it would be a great place to do some comp or spec testing. Also the kudos would be a leaderboard anyway. Also if there was some way to put your group on the list of interested parties and then get a notification when you've a match otherwise you could end up people sitting around a porter waiting and that won't last long.
Sun 3 May 2020 12:13 PM by stylingpat
I completely agree with this change. I was really surprised that Phoenix didn't already have something like this implemented.

Do the 1v1 free for all. And make it known this is not a /bow dueling zone

Do the 3v3 pvp

Save the 5v5 for a type of competitive arena. Because we all know the difference between 5v5 and 3v3. I don't need to write it out here.

And have the 8v8 and relic/keep takes for RvR.
Sun 3 May 2020 1:47 PM by Jwatts86
I like this idea but think it would be better if this was only an option during the week per se, and not on weekends rather than permanent.
Sun 3 May 2020 2:23 PM by Killaloth
evert wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 7:17 AM
I think it's good as an event but not permanently. Most of the fun of daoc is from the open-world pvp and not knowing what you will face, don't think 1vs1 3vs3 or whatever is the only kind of fight that's fun. Much more fun to be a duo killing waves of adds or a solo killing a duo or a 5man wiping a FG, etc (or even a low rr duo fighting a really tough solo). Yes it sucks getting rolled by bigger numbers but I'm totally against something that splits up the playerbase and enforces that kind of arena feeling.

Edit: IMO this seems redundant with the arena event. why not see how that goes before you add yet another extra pvp area?

I agree with you, but with the lockdown, the zerg situation is too bad for an 8man to roam during primetime. The PvP zone could still fail as it might get repetitive with the same people rolling in it.

The zerg festival will not be ruined, 5% of people are actively doing 8vs8 while the rest is playing MMORPG DAoC stuck to their zerg leader.

I just see a win-win here, the only risk is for the zone to not be successful for lack of enough players with fingers/neurons.
Sun 3 May 2020 3:07 PM by Lance
FINALLY
Sun 3 May 2020 3:57 PM by evert
Killaloth wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 2:23 PM
evert wrote:

I agree with you, but with the lockdown, the zerg situation is too bad for an 8man to roam during primetime. The PvP zone could still fail as it might get repetitive with the same people rolling in it.

The zerg festival will not be ruined, 5% of people are actively doing 8vs8 while the rest is playing MMORPG DAoC stuck to their zerg leader.

I just see a win-win here, the only risk is for the zone to not be successful for lack of enough players with fingers/neurons.

But the pvp zone won't be 8vs8 so it has nothing to do with that? will just ruin smallman in frontiers and move it into a min-maxing arena; if you are lowrr/lowskill and don't want to run in a 100 person zerg you can just quit playing.
Sun 3 May 2020 4:13 PM by Riac
evert wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 3:57 PM
Killaloth wrote:
evert wrote:

But the pvp zone won't be 8vs8 so it has nothing to do with that? will just ruin smallman in frontiers and move it into a min-maxing arena; if you are lowrr/lowskill and don't want to run in a 100 person zerg you can just quit playing.
not sure how its going to hurt small man considering the small mans will in the zone and available to fight. the only way its going to hurt small mans is that they wont be able to just roll over solos, i guess you could always kill the taskers though lol.
IT IS NOT AN ARENA. IT IS LIKE THE EVENT ZONES. BUNCH OF GROUPS WILL BE IN THERE.
you wont be low rr for long in there. it will be action non stop. as far as low skill, idk, with all the action it should be plenty of opportunity for practice. the only ppl reamaining low skill are the noobs beating on doors.
tbh i think its a good think to break up the 8 mans a bit, get more groups rolling, instead of one super group like PK just rolling over all of them. its not like the 8 mans interact with the zergs anyways.
Sun 3 May 2020 4:15 PM by Killaloth
evert wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 3:57 PM
Killaloth wrote:
evert wrote:

8vs8 or 5vs5 are in the same league for me. Currently smallman in frontier is close to non existent, better have a dedicated arena. If you can't 8vs8 due to zerg you just split the grp in two and invite a couple of ppl to have two 5man grps.

Low RR means nothing, you can get RR6 in a couple of weeks here and it's all you need. Low skill can stay in frontier and risk less, since competitive grps are fighting each other in a dedicated zone. Or they could try to learn from better players, up to them.

Again the only risk I see is not having enough players in the PvP zone but why not trying.
Sun 3 May 2020 4:32 PM by DarkDavion
I only partially agree with you, maybe the small man can only be periodically, but at least the 1vs1 (and maybe the duo) must be permanently there because 1vs 4 or 1vs 8 or 1vs zerg is garbage and does not add anything to the RvR . People who like to roam solo to have 1vs1 must be able to do it without be raped 99% (for me the stealthers 1vs1 are very funny)
Sun 3 May 2020 8:36 PM by stewbeedoo
Permanent PvP zones are an interesting idea.

Visi solos won't get rolled by groups and I expect the high RR / OP classes will love it

Those who currently openfield solo on weaker classes will probably not thrive there (e.g. archers).
Sun 3 May 2020 9:07 PM by Freudinio
I don't see the point.

Why insist on diluting the pvp population further?
Sun 3 May 2020 9:21 PM by Riac
Freudinio wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 9:07 PM
I don't see the point.

because ppl are far too rp thirsty and act like cunts non-stop. dont worry there will still be noobs to beat on a door with you.
Sun 3 May 2020 10:25 PM by DarkDavion
Freudinio wrote:
I don't see the point.

Do u will miss kill solo ppl 1v8 or 1v zerg? If the answer is yes is kinda sad, if not u agree that the RvR doesn't lose anything, stop QQ and let all can enjoy the game. This is a great idea that a lot of ppl was waiting for
Sun 3 May 2020 10:37 PM by Nephamael
After the testing we know now it is not a duel arena but open field 1v1 PvP server style

The test was tons of fun and i cant wait for it to be in permanently

Thanks a lot @DEVs, @GMs for your work and keep it up!

only got 2 suggestions for qol

1) add a lot of Hasteners all over the zone

2) narrow the zone for low pop times
Mon 4 May 2020 12:07 AM by Smudly
Great test today- I really like what you guys have done with this 1v1 zone. Everyone spawns far from each other, and there isn't a center area where people meet up expecting to choose who they can beat before initiating some lame duel.

This is how it should be! 1 v 1 mordred style.
Mon 4 May 2020 12:15 AM by gotwqqd
There is no grouping correct?
Mon 4 May 2020 12:25 AM by Riac
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 12:15 AM
There is no grouping correct?
no grouping in the solo zone, and hopefully rules against teaming as well.
Mon 4 May 2020 6:02 AM by evert
The problem about diluting population isn't that there won't be anything for zergs to run over, it's that removing soloers from NF disrupts the ecosystem really quickly leads to a situation where there is no point running anything below a fg. I know everyone claims not to play for RPs but a lot of casual players need that too! No soloers means nothing for duos to kill means nothing for smallmans to kill etc etc etc (and those can be fun fights too, it's not just getting run over). What do people who want to play with 1 friend (or with 3 friends if there is a 3vs3 zone) do then?

Just to be clear I'm not against trying it - but think it should be a special event, even every weekend or a similar timeframe. Think this kind of thing gets old after a while, so keep it fresh, cycle the zone, the groupsize, etc. If after a few months it's still super popular then sure make it full-time.
Mon 4 May 2020 10:29 AM by Freudinio
DarkDavion wrote:
Sun 3 May 2020 10:25 PM
Freudinio wrote:
I don't see the point.

Do u will miss kill solo ppl 1v8 or 1v zerg? If the answer is yes is kinda sad, if not u agree that the RvR doesn't lose anything, stop QQ and let all can enjoy the game. This is a great idea that a lot of ppl was waiting for

I mean, you QQ'd your way into a safe haven for your playstyle. Why can't I QQ my way into one for mine?
Mon 4 May 2020 10:38 AM by Freudinio
DarkDavion wrote:
Freudinio wrote:
I don't see the point.

On a more serious note. I fear for the longevity of the server with this change. This is the only reason I am opposed to it. This might be a short term gain, but I am certain it will be a long term loss.
Mon 4 May 2020 10:50 AM by inoeth
Freudinio wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 10:38 AM
DarkDavion wrote:
Freudinio wrote:
I don't see the point.

On a more serious note. I fear for the longevity of the server with this change. This is the only reason I am opposed to it. This might be a short term gain, but I am certain it will be a long term loss.

do you know what kills the server? guys that deny others to play how they want and ppl running over solos in zergs... do you think the solos like that? dont you think they get driven away by that? in fact the solo community has already degenerated. very few ppl still run solo. soo in the end the few solos are not needed for the "ecosystem". its very funny and kind of dismasks the gimpness of the ones that run solos with their grps if they now see their "income" at risk you guys need to fight real enemys now. poor guys lmao
Mon 4 May 2020 11:29 AM by Freudinio
inoeth wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 10:50 AM
Freudinio wrote:
DarkDavion wrote:

do you know what kills the server? guys that deny others to play how they want and ppl running over solos in zergs... do you think the solos like that? dont you think they get driven away by that? in fact the solo community has already degenerated. very few ppl still run solo. soo in the end the few solos are not needed for the "ecosystem". its very funny and kind of dismasks the gimpness of the ones that run solos with their grps if they now see their "income" at risk you guys need to fight real enemys now. poor guys lmao

Ah yes, the good old childish insults. There are tons of people who run solo, I solo on my berserker and have zero issues finding fights. Sure, sometimes they are against multiples and sure, sometimes I group up to take out the trash around bled / uppland. If you are having trouble finding 1v1's in rvr, the problem is not with the server, it's most definitely with you.
Mon 4 May 2020 12:07 PM by BiggAudi
I believe people are fretting over this a bit too much. This will be a lot of fun for everyone and should not detract much from RvR. If people get bored which will happen, or if the realm needs buffs, relics, DF or other bonuses (which they will want) they'll go back to doing some RvR. The devs seem pretty smart and the implementations for QoL and otherwise have been great. It appears they pay attention and will make changes as needed to keep things fresh and balanced. See you all out there
Mon 4 May 2020 12:14 PM by inoeth
Freudinio wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 11:29 AM
inoeth wrote:
Freudinio wrote:

Ah yes, the good old childish insults. There are tons of people who run solo, I solo on my berserker and have zero issues finding fights. Sure, sometimes they are against multiples and sure, sometimes I group up to take out the trash around bled / uppland. If you are having trouble finding 1v1's in rvr, the problem is not with the server, it's most definitely with you.

so basicly you have 1vsX or XvsX? and sometimes a 1vs1? and i bet your solo time is max. 5% of your total play time
dude im talking about 100% solo. and yes there was a time when that was possible much more than now. solo community has shrunken, adding ppl have increased. thats def not my fault
Mon 4 May 2020 12:16 PM by inoeth
BiggAudi wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 12:07 PM
I believe people are fretting over this a bit too much. This will be a lot of fun for everyone and should not detract much from RvR. If people get bored which will happen, or if the realm needs buffs, relics, DF or other bonuses (which they will want) they'll go back to doing some RvR. The devs seem pretty smart and the implementations for QoL and otherwise have been great. It appears they pay attention and will make changes as needed to keep things fresh and balanced. See you all out there

i dont know any solo that bothers about DF or relics
still i agree it mighty get boring at some point there, but i dont think i will be there all the time, maybe just when there is too much zerg in the regular zones. time will show.
Mon 4 May 2020 12:25 PM by Uthred
The zone is now open. Please read the FAQs & rules. --> https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13662
Mon 4 May 2020 12:27 PM by Freudinio
inoeth wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 12:14 PM
Freudinio wrote:
inoeth wrote:

so basicly you have 1vsX or XvsX? and sometimes a 1vs1? and i bet your solo time is max. 5% of your total play time
dude im talking about 100% solo. and yes there was a time when that was possible much more than now. solo community has shrunken, adding ppl have increased. thats def not my fault

Says the guy that at 9L5 barely got 2k solo kills. Maybe stop stealth zerging for a minute?

Do a /underpop apparently half the rvr population are soloers / smallman teams.

But congratulations. You killed RvR for your own personal gain.
Mon 4 May 2020 12:49 PM by inoeth
Freudinio wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 12:27 PM
inoeth wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 12:14 PM
Freudinio wrote:

Says the guy that at 9L5 barely got 2k solo kills. Maybe stop stealth zerging for a minute?

But congratulations. You killed RvR for your own personal gain.

2k solo kills while 5k total kills and 3k deaths... if you think about it you will see that this speaks for a pure solo guy that gets fukking added 2/3 of the time
who are you anyway? i dont recall any solo berzerk out there, lets see how far you have gotten with your solo game
Mon 4 May 2020 1:19 PM by Cadebrennus
Freudinio wrote:
DarkDavion wrote:
Freudinio wrote:
I don't see the point.

Exactly this. I couldn't agree more.
Mon 4 May 2020 2:18 PM by DarkDavion
The PvP Zone is Great!

just a couple of tips to make it even better:

1) Dont show the name of ppl. Let see just like in frontier Celt thunderer, kobold skiltvakten etcc

2) dont permit ppl to talk, not need to talk here talk is for coordinate, here is a FFA zone

3) hasteners

All fine and great

P.s
How can u leave the zone without die? ^^ i mean if there isn't ppl to kill you? u must relogg?

Ty for this HUGE improvement for the server
Mon 4 May 2020 2:33 PM by Sepplord
Freudinio wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 12:27 PM

?
Could you explain how to deduct that from /u?
Mon 4 May 2020 2:47 PM by Uthred
/underpop now lists the population count of the pvp zone

https://playphoenix.online/patch-notes
Mon 4 May 2020 2:49 PM by VonSchneider
Tried it, didnt like it. But thats more because of personal dislike for everything ToA and that it feels like so some custom game for me playing there and not like the Daoc I came here for. And playing a vsisible champ trying to solo I know the pain, but it just doesnt feel right for me. Although I can also see why ppl like it,
Mon 4 May 2020 2:59 PM by evert
So far it's basically rp farming; fight every minute even if you die 8/10 times you will get a lot of rps from adding/whatever. Don't like it too much as solo because the zone is not set up for it, no chokepoints, no mobs, no reason to roam, etc (partly due to population - this will be insane at EU primetime). I can see how people that just want to 1vs1 might like it, and I will keep playing for a while to get those rps... but already seen the duel circles forming... zzz

Edit: someone on discord said it feels like insta50 server, I agree, and not in a good way.
Mon 4 May 2020 3:35 PM by Lasastard
This really goes against the spirit of the game and is an all around bad idea. Sure, whenever different play styles clash, people bitch and ask for changes etc - but this game has existed with exactly this "conflict" for 20 years, changing it will not improve things, but create some kind of parallel universes and divide the player base. The game is "sand box" enough, that it should be possible to accomodate a wide range of play styles and this is a major part of why people are still around, imho.
Mon 4 May 2020 3:36 PM by Tyrlaan
RIP RvR. Hello circle jerking. This is worse than Nethuni South.
Mon 4 May 2020 3:36 PM by inoeth
just logged in 40 min ago alrdy 10k 2 deaths... i like all the yummy SBs here
Mon 4 May 2020 4:14 PM by fail
Yep, solo crew complain about zerg/add, and pretend to fight for the glory not for the rps.

Staff give them a zerg/add area and you dont even have to walk/take a boat for it.

People happy because they make good rps, oh the irony...

Like few others said, its not a good idea to spread the population.
Mon 4 May 2020 4:23 PM by vxr
Came back to check this out. Had some fun fights. Was nice to see different classes running around
Wizard, Cabs, shams, chanters and elds to name a few.

Some ideas to improve the solo area:
- Can you consider adding something to prevent people from setting up duel areas. Like if your in the same area for too long you take ramping damage.
- If you don't engage an enemy in 10 minutes you get ported out.

Thank you!
Mon 4 May 2020 5:13 PM by Quik
fail wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 4:14 PM
People happy because they make good rps, oh the irony...

Like few others said, its not a good idea to spread the population.

I'm sure the dev's will adjust if RP's are too easy or if the population starts to get too thin.
Mon 4 May 2020 5:33 PM by darkstar00
This is the new shiny object right now. Don't think it will last but it's pretty fun... getting some good fights.

Assassins disease is a real pain though having to wait for it to wear off... the only negative.

And I've only had 1 person msg me after killing them... after I waited for their fight to end.... no sympathy on my end.
Mon 4 May 2020 6:20 PM by erichugonnett
If your going to force PvP on the players give us more options the solo zone is packed with BDs/Champ/Minstrels. What about the rest of us who dont want to get farmed and added on by a shit show free for all. Please reconsider your options and why not ask the players what they think!
Mon 4 May 2020 6:22 PM by Riac
erichugonnett wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 6:20 PM
If your going to force PvP on the players give us more options the solo zone is packed with BDs/Champ/Minstrels. What about the rest of us who dont want to get farmed and added on by a shit show free for all. Please reconsider your options and why not ask the players what they think!
pvp is not being forced on you.........
no one is making you go into this zone. you didnt even propose anything here.
seems like you are just upset no one asked for your approval of the system.
Mon 4 May 2020 6:32 PM by erichugonnett
Riac wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 6:22 PM
erichugonnett wrote:
I'm putting my 10 cents in. and if your going to do something like this why not have group diversity in numbers as well. just because you like farming rps on your Cheese class or with your buddies doesn't mean everyone else is enjoying the content. 300 total people are not in NF. 120 of those people are in the solo zone adding each other why not have duos/trios I like to play with my buddies not farm them
Mon 4 May 2020 6:37 PM by sleeve
1v1 Great 3v3(for obvious resons) 5v5 keep for event seasonal.

I love the 1v1 already I personal was waiting for 1v1s to be over then engage but I probably wont anymore because that's not what it's intended for.

Great change up but consider lowing 5v5
Mon 4 May 2020 6:42 PM by Riac
erichugonnett wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 6:32 PM
Riac wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 6:22 PM
erichugonnett wrote:
I'm putting my 10 cents in. and if your going to do something like this why not have group diversity in numbers as well. just because you like farming rps on your Cheese class or with your buddies doesn't mean everyone else is enjoying the content. 300 total people are not in NF. 120 of those people are in the solo zone adding each other why not have duos/trios I like to play with my buddies not farm them
apparently there is going to be a zone for small groups as well.
if the majority of ppl online are in the zone that would indicate that is very popular and ppl are enjoying. you seem upset that the ppl arent enjoying the same thing you are.
its new, ppls fascination will wear off in time.
still though, no one is forcing pvp on you. thats just silly.
Mon 4 May 2020 7:16 PM by Lasastard
I think there is considerable risk in this decision, for the following reason:

Phoenix has been successful, mainly, I think because it is accessible. Part of that accessibility is that RvR is very active and makes it easy for diverse playstyles to find a niche - at least the "multi-player" types, like smallmen, 8men and zerg (excluding solos here since that is a longer discussion).

Now you start taking away from that "pool" of people and quarantine them in a PvP zone - super accessible, but these players are suddenly missing from the "open" RvR. Less groups are formed, zergs start missing vital classes etc. The more popular this instant-gratification zone is, the more noticable it will be for the big rvr. But not immediately. More likely, the process will be quite slow. People wanting to do open RVR get annoyed because no zerg is running that day, some will then decide to also roll PvP-zone classes and get their "DAOC" fix that way. Others will start logging in less frequently. And at some point, without there necessarily being a big change in numbers in any given window of time, you have caused long-term damage to the population.

Now, this might be overly dramatic (I personally think there is a real potential risk in this scenario), but frankly - ready-made, instant action PvP has no place in this game. There are other games more tailored towards this. I really do hope the devs have some very solid metrics to decide if/and when to abort this little experiment.
Mon 4 May 2020 8:27 PM by Astaa
You can't just say 'Yeah some people gain their entertainment from running over soloers' so this is bad, Shitty reason, for shitty players. Worthless zerglings stop more people from playing more than anything else on phoenix.

People quit because they are bored, lots of people get bored of not being able to RvR, as a soloer, if you're constantly being zerged then whats the point in playing?

Zerglings can still zerg, there is a BG up on all 3 realms, all the time, trash it up all you like. You might even find that you have to learn to play, and enjoy that journey if you can't just spam buttons at the soloer.

I'll agree it's not ideal but when the player base is so intent on gaining RPs over compassion for fellow DAOC'ers, I see no other option.

Now, the GMs have to keep a close eye on it, and it may well fail but its a brave move and its nice to see something different tried.
Mon 4 May 2020 8:30 PM by Riac
Astaa wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 8:27 PM
You can't just say 'Yeah some people gain their entertainment from running over soloers' so this is bad, Shitty reason, for shitty players. Worthless zerglings stop more people from playing more than anything else on phoenix.

People quit because they are bored, lots of people get bored of not being able to RvR, as a soloer, if you're constantly being zerged then whats the point in playing?

Zerglings can still zerg, there is a BG up on all 3 realms, all the time, trash it up all you like. You might even find that you have to learn to play, and enjoy that journey if you can't just spam buttons at the soloer.

I'll agree it's not ideal but when the player base is so intent on gaining RPs over compassion for fellow DAOC'ers, I see no other option.

Now, the GMs have to keep a close eye on it, and it may well fail but its a brave move and its nice to see something different tried.
this guy gets it lol.
Mon 4 May 2020 9:47 PM by gruenesschaf
As I wrote in the opening post:

The expectation is that while it's new and shiny a lot of people will be there which will have a detrimental effect on the rvr, especially at lower pop times, however, it is also the expectation that fewer people will use the pvp zone once the newness wears off.

Also the rewards in the pvp zone are most likely a bit higher than what they should be, there should not be the incentive to go to the pvp zone because it's where the most rps are made but instead because you prefer the pvp zone gameplay over the rvr zone gameplay, however, it also shouldn't be the other way around where you are forced to grind RR in the rvr zone only to compete in some vanity pvp zone without rp.
Mon 4 May 2020 9:47 PM by Freudinio
Astaa wrote:

Then people get killed by people that are higher RR than them. So the zone needs to be divided by Realm Ranks. Then some classes have speed, some have stealth. Huge advantages, we need to to divide the pvp zone by those metrics too. We most definitely can not have unfair fights in this game.

Also, I find it laughable that soloing is somehow the "correct" way to play. Sorry.
Mon 4 May 2020 10:01 PM by Astaa
Freudinio wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 9:47 PM
Astaa wrote:

Then people get killed by people that are higher RR than them. So the zone needs to be divided by Realm Ranks. Then some classes have speed, some have stealth. Huge advantages, we need to to divide the pvp zone by those metrics too. We most definitely can not have unfair fights in this game.

Also, I find it laughable that soloing is somehow the "correct" way to play. Sorry.

Err, RR doesn't actually mean as much as some bad players will have you believe.

No, soloning isn't the correct way of playing, neither is 8v8 or zerging. However, we are playing a 20 year old game that we all love, why would anyone want to go out of their way to stop a fellow DAOC'er from enjoying the game? for a bunch of meaningless RPs? Come on...

And to underline the point. You can still zerg it up as much as you like, soloers will no longer have to participate in whatever it is you think you are gaining from such gameplay. Why does it bother you that people with a different playstyle to yours can enjoy the game?
Mon 4 May 2020 10:09 PM by Gotmagi
I've been having a lot of fun in the solo zone both yesterday and tonight. The only thing I don't like is that you get about 2 times more rps than normally when soloing and the amount of solo kills gained is insane.. so everyone will be rocking Lone enforcer and rr10 in no time. Making those characters that got LE the "normal" way feel kind of worthless

I would love to see this kind of zone active maybe 2-3 days a week or so.

Just my humble soloer opinion.
Mon 4 May 2020 10:20 PM by Riac
i dont think it matters if everyone gets le and r10. theyll get it anyways eventually. atleast i wont be ran down by noob stealth groups anymore.
maybe if everyone get r10 they wont keep acting like rp hungry assholes all the time.
Mon 4 May 2020 10:40 PM by Gotmagi
Riac wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 10:20 PM
i dont think it matters if everyone gets le and r10. theyll get it anyways eventually. atleast i wont be ran down by noob stealth groups anymore.
maybe if everyone get r10 they wont keep acting like rp hungry assholes all the time.

Won't really be a problem no, just bums me out because getting to LE on a visible class used to mean something to ppl like myself =)
Mon 4 May 2020 10:52 PM by Riac
i agree, it certainly is hard work to get it on a visi. however, the chance for an enjoyable game out ways vanity titles imo.
Mon 4 May 2020 11:06 PM by Freudinio
Astaa wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 10:01 PM
Freudinio wrote:
Astaa wrote:

Err, RR doesn't actually mean as much as some bad players will have you believe.

No, soloning isn't the correct way of playing, neither is 8v8 or zerging. However, we are playing a 20 year old game that we all love, why would anyone want to go out of their way to stop a fellow DAOC'er from enjoying the game? for a bunch of meaningless RPs? Come on...

And to underline the point. You can still zerg it up as much as you like, soloers will no longer have to participate in whatever it is you think you are gaining from such gameplay. Why does it bother you that people with a different playstyle to yours can enjoy the game?

I don't zerg. But keep writing that sci-fi. Purge / IP / SoS / MoC absolutely never win fights. /rollseyes.
Mon 4 May 2020 11:15 PM by Riac
Freudinio wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 11:06 PM
Astaa wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 10:01 PM
Freudinio wrote:

I don't zerg. But keep writing that sci-fi. Purge / IP / SoS / MoC absolutely never win fights. /rollseyes.
while being high rr is nice, classes only need a few core things to be complete and strong. for instance, once a sin gets viper 5/purge 2 (5L7) youre strong and should be able to compete with the other high RR sins (assuming you know what you are doing) anything else is just icing on the cake especially since crit is nerfed and aug stats really arent as good as youd think. however, you can keep QQing and keep claiming that you lose because the other guy are too high rr. really you probably just arent making the best choices in a fight.
Mon 4 May 2020 11:25 PM by Freudinio
I get murdered because I am berserker and people have shields. I suggest a no shield zone!

At any rate, I hope you guys have fun out there. I just hope it's not on the expense of the server as a whole.
Mon 4 May 2020 11:42 PM by Riac
Freudinio wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 11:25 PM
I get murdered because I am berserker and people have shields. I suggest a no shield zone!

At any rate, I hope you guys have fun out there. I just hope it's not on the expense of the server as a whole.

get higher purge.
check out some old nate bruner videos rofl. he made it work lol.
Tue 5 May 2020 12:52 AM by DarkDavion
The RP gain is high just bcs a lot of ppl is joining the pvp zone. The RP gain will come back as usual when ppl will come back to Rvr and only soloers will join it.
Tue 5 May 2020 5:45 AM by pollojack
So I am enjoying this. I suggest not making it 24/7 perhaps turning on when pop is low or high or whenever it suits the server best. This area is what solos needed.

Still get adds sure, but it is much easier to find a good fight. I know, a lot of yall hate good fights and just want 2v1s or random stealth zerg but this is very satisfying.
Tue 5 May 2020 6:32 AM by evert
Played some more and ran a duo in NF yesterday, I think if you leave it up permanently the server is eventually dead. It's like empty calories, there are no consequences to dying, it encourages soloing (if you have less than 4 friends on and want to group up atm, too bad),... Might as well make a separate server with insta50 and the same zone, it will be the same "good fights", right? Or remove rps, those aren't important right?

Maybe a better solution is to implement the arena duel system (could be permanently on, or on at peak times) for all the rr8 champs to get their "fair" 1v1 fights and leave the 5v5 zone up to get the smallmans out of NF, so there are less groups ganking NF solos/duos.
Tue 5 May 2020 6:39 AM by Helwyr
So my brother and I come to the server to play some classic (ish) DAoC RvR just got characters ready for first BG, and you guys pull this weird cross realm arena RP farm zone thing. I hope you reverse course quickly and get rid of it. An event ok, but permanent?
Tue 5 May 2020 7:03 AM by Astaa
You can still zerg keeps...if you want.
Tue 5 May 2020 7:15 AM by EscapeArtist
Lasastard wrote:
Mon 4 May 2020 7:16 PM
I think there is considerable risk in this decision, for the following reason:

Phoenix has been successful, mainly, I think because it is accessible. Part of that accessibility is that RvR is very active and makes it easy for diverse playstyles to find a niche - at least the "multi-player" types, like smallmen, 8men and zerg (excluding solos here since that is a longer discussion).

Now you start taking away from that "pool" of people and quarantine them in a PvP zone - super accessible, but these players are suddenly missing from the "open" RvR. Less groups are formed, zergs start missing vital classes etc. The more popular this instant-gratification zone is, the more noticable it will be for the big rvr. But not immediately. More likely, the process will be quite slow. People wanting to do open RVR get annoyed because no zerg is running that day, some will then decide to also roll PvP-zone classes and get their "DAOC" fix that way. Others will start logging in less frequently. And at some point, without there necessarily being a big change in numbers in any given window of time, you have caused long-term damage to the population.

Now, this might be overly dramatic (I personally think there is a real potential risk in this scenario), but frankly - ready-made, instant action PvP has no place in this game. There are other games more tailored towards this. I really do hope the devs have some very solid metrics to decide if/and when to abort this little experiment.

This. It's fun for a day or so but if you leave this in it will kill the server. I can't believe this is seriuosly permanent.
Feels like some weird mix of instant50 and pvp server. And youre rp farming way to fast there.

All servers with something like this died eventually. Don't make this mistake.

And im saying this with champ as main while making good rps. You can't leave this in.

Or at least reduce rp gain there so that the regular rvr is more rewarding.
Tue 5 May 2020 7:16 AM by Blitze
I am a solo friar and I loved this zone for the hour or so I played even though I was free RPs to BDs and Champs.

However, I do not believe this should be permanently up as I am worried that maybe removal of my slow visible “bottom-of-the-food-chain” ass as well as other soloers will not be good for the bigger fish, ultimately leaving NF an empty zone aside from 8mans and 3zergs... that’s just not RvR.

Maybe I am just a child telling santa he doesn’t deserve his toys.
Tue 5 May 2020 7:22 AM by Astaa
After playing it a bit more I think I actually agree that it shouldn't be permanent. Maybe see how it goes over the next few days with population (its very busy atm) and maybe have it up for a week every month or something?

Don't get me wrong, it's great to get so many 1v1 fights in such a short period of time but it just doesn't feel quite right somehow.

I'm not bothered about taking population from the frontier tbh as generally speaking, they aren't bothered about my playstyle either.
Tue 5 May 2020 7:46 AM by Noashakra
Remove the red pets from the zone, it's ridiculous to have those for the 1vs1 zone
Tue 5 May 2020 8:37 AM by Killaloth
It was great fun and obviously many people tried it. On the long run this will be Ministrel/BDs land only, people do like easy mode.

I haven't killed a single tank with my chanter, too easy and thank god even few BDs realised that. Slashop and Xoonaka were leading the retarded league by even adding tank fights. Toxic people choose toxic classes..

Anyway it was nice killing bad BDs and Minis with no moc, one of those kills repays the other 5 times you die Vs the iwin classes.

Gl and try to respect other ppl out there. Make your self-esteem a favour and don't show up in the PvP zone with a mini or BD, you are worth it! Unless you are so bad that you can't win with anything else
Tue 5 May 2020 8:41 AM by Sepplord
and the flaming gatekeeping has begun
Tue 5 May 2020 8:49 AM by Killaloth
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 5 May 2020 8:41 AM
and the flaming gatekeeping has begun

No flame, same issues with the same OP classes. Yellow pets only at least in the 1 man area would make a lot of sense, just saw the comment.

Regardless, the event was a huge success and tons of fun.
Tue 5 May 2020 9:09 AM by inoeth
all the whining from ppl who usually farm solos with fgs "you kill rvr with that" lmao!
go to hell
Tue 5 May 2020 9:11 AM by Sepplord
Killaloth wrote:
Tue 5 May 2020 8:37 AM
Slashop and Xoonaka were leading the retarded league by even adding tank fights. Toxic people choose toxic classes..

Sounds like a flame to me... at best

I bet you will also disagree that the second sentence is very hypocritical, considering you just called others the leaders of "retarded league" because of their gameplay choices. yeah, that's not toxic at all
Tue 5 May 2020 10:23 AM by SlowMo
Just want to share my thoughts on this as a solo Sin player.

Sure frontier zones can get very frustrating when you get overrun and added constantly.

Do I hate this? Oh hell yea...

If you can´t deal with this, daoc maybe isnt the right game for you.

There is no 1v1, no 5v5 no 8v8, there is only RvR in all its different versions. And guess what, all get zerged down from time to time….

But there was Room for solo in the frontiers aswell, and for small Man and FG play. And all contributed to every preferred playstyle.
Referring to solo kills on Herald, there sure were plenty options and possibilities to solo.

Just think of it, how often did allies come to help when you solo and were outnumbered at docks or bridges hot spots?
In my book this has always been the excitement of daoc.

Calling for fair 1v1 or pvp fights in daoc is just hilarious, they happen yes, and its great if it happens.

Taking away one part(solo in this case) of RVR will have an impact to all other preferred playstyles aswell.
Just like natures "food chain" (kind of :-)

Hope you get my point.
Tue 5 May 2020 11:03 AM by Killaloth
SlowMo wrote:
Tue 5 May 2020 10:23 AM

Sure frontier zones can get very frustrating when you get overrun and added constantly.

There is no 1v1, no 5v5 no 8v8, there is only RvR in all its different versions. And guess what, all get zerged down from time to time….

But there was Room for solo in the frontiers aswell, and for small Man and FG play. And all contributed to every preferred playstyle.
Referring to solo kills on Herald, there sure were plenty options and possibilities to solo.

Just think of it, how often did allies come to help when you solo and were outnumbered at docks or bridges hot spots?

Calling for fair 1v1 or pvp fights in daoc is just hilarious, they happen yes, and its great if it happens.

Taking away one part(solo in this case) of RVR will have an impact to all other preferred playstyles aswell.

Hope you get my point.

Yep, and New Frontiers is still there if you prefer that action. I might prefer it too if I get bored of the PvP zone in a couple of days, then try the PvP again, then back to Thidranki.. who knows. The beauty of this server is that it caters to every playstyle with different options for everyone.
Tue 5 May 2020 11:04 AM by VonSchneider
Another problem I see is normal its like the more time you invest, the more rewards you get.
Here its the opposite: You invest less time and still get the same rewards(Rps), so at the end of the day you get more.
Most soloers play for pride and for the thrill of 1vs1, so it shouldnt be a problem if a kill only nets you like 1/5 of rps you would get for a solo kill in "real" rvr.
Tue 5 May 2020 12:17 PM by SlowMo
Or make solo kills in frontier double rewarded :-)
Tue 5 May 2020 12:38 PM by Pao
too much rps and also it kills the normal rvr.

as much I like not getting farmed by small man and 8man anymore but this is not daoc.
Tue 5 May 2020 12:45 PM by aenne
hm ... why not only 1/5 rp, s for all zerger? get full rp, s for everything and do almost nothing besides being there and running in the zerg? or preferably no rp, s for zerger, because they are out of pure fun / the connection to the rich / socializing with others, play and not because of the performance or their own ambition ... everyone can, but no one has to the new zone .... so what's the problem? So all "society players" can continue to break up, just no longer with 120, but only with maybe 60 per realm, so?
Tue 5 May 2020 1:24 PM by Husceal
Why not remove all RPs gain? You can always be back in this zone in 1 minute, and kill, the RPs is free. And if you add, its more effectiv.
Imo the best way, remove the RP's gain, add Feather gain, like 10 per kill?
Zerg/grp can obtain feathers in Keep/tower attack and solo in the solo zone.
Tue 5 May 2020 3:00 PM by joshisanonymous
SlowMo wrote:
Tue 5 May 2020 10:23 AM

Hope you get my point.

Agree 100% with all of this. i think the reason so many people are posting about having a hard time putting a finger on why the PvP zone feels "unnatural" or "not like DAoC" is because what makes DAoC great is the unpredictability of it all. Sure, getting running over by a FG sucks, but if that risk isn't there, if it takes no work at all to get back into the fray, then you lose the thrill of succeeding at soloing despite these challenges. 20 years on, it's shocking to me that there are people who claim to love DAoC and to be dedicated soloers who have such strong distaste for the very aspect of DAoC that makes it feel exciting, unlike every other MMO out there.
Tue 5 May 2020 4:55 PM by Sepplord
I feel like the main reason it's not daoc is vecause you randomly run around waiting for inc/add

You don't look at the warmap and think: okay, they can port here and here, their zerg is over there, the task there. If we go to xy we might find xyz and the people that want to farm xyz

PS: i tried the zone for one run and it was exactly that feeling. But still fun as novelty. Easy instant action. I was expecting the chat to be toxic but holyshit....i didnt think it would be THAT bad
Tue 5 May 2020 4:59 PM by Riac
Husceal wrote:
Tue 5 May 2020 1:24 PM
Why not remove all RPs gain? You can always be back in this zone in 1 minute, and kill, the RPs is free. And if you add, its more effectiv.
Imo the best way, remove the RP's gain, add Feather gain, like 10 per kill?
Zerg/grp can obtain feathers in Keep/tower attack and solo in the solo zone.

why not remove rp gains from tasks and keep takes?
rps are for killing ppl and thats something the zergs generally dont do.
Tue 5 May 2020 5:44 PM by DarkDavion
The pvp zone must be always open only for soloers. Instead those who have groups of friends to play can still organize themselves and have fun. At least this is true for me, when my mates are there and we can run in 2, 3 or 4 I would like to have the PvP zone available, but if this were counterproductive for the server we would still be able to have fun. Instead for the days when I am alone, if playing means becoming free RP for the brain dead small man, groups and zergs, no thanks. In my opinion this will keep the server alive, when I am solo I can do exp, pve stuff or a roam in the pvp zone, when my friends are up I can go for RvR or sometimes in the pvp zone, but at least I can have fast fun when I need and not wasting my little free time
Tue 5 May 2020 7:44 PM by Enyore
Pardon my language, but this zone is complete and utter shit.
In 2 days it has already completely divided the community.

Make this zone open ever other Tuesday or something like that - a permanent zone is driving a stake into the heart of the server.

I hope you will listen and come to reason. This coming from a true Phoenix believer that has been active since the start of the beta - this is your first real mistake.
Wed 6 May 2020 11:07 AM by Spewy
how to kill action in Frontier?

>>> PVP ZONE.

GG.
Wed 6 May 2020 11:15 AM by DarkDavion
They reduced the RP gain in the pvp zone, it's fine to me. If ppl still prefer pvp zone means is more fun than frontier. 8v8 still in frontier, and u can still smash doors for ez RPs in frontier.
Everyone can do what they prefer, are u sad that u can't zerg soloers? Me not. That's mean less action for u? Sad
Wed 6 May 2020 11:18 AM by Noashakra
yesterday night it was 180 people in the pvp zone for 780 in rvr, it'll go down and down after the novelty effect so don't panic.
Wed 6 May 2020 11:28 AM by DarkDavion
In my opinion only soloers will join it steady, like average of 100ppl. This is perfectly fine, soloers doesn't add or remove nothing to RvR, I am fully convinced of this.
Wed 6 May 2020 11:57 AM by evert
Just make it an event every week or two (and rotate the zone/group size), the people who like it will be happy because it will be full and popular at those times, everyone else will be happy because most of the time rvr will be like normal.

Or implement the arena for the hardcore 1v1 crowd and let them get on with their duels.
Wed 6 May 2020 12:05 PM by DarkDavion
evert wrote:
Wed 6 May 2020 11:57 AM
Just make it an event every week or two (and rotate the zone/group size), the people who like it will be happy because it will be full and popular at those times, everyone else will be happy because most of the time rvr will be like normal.

Or implement the arena for the hardcore 1v1 crowd and let them get on with their duels.

Man did u see the numbers? 780 frontier vs180 pvp zone and is going less day by day. Why u want to force these ppl play the Fu. Cking way u want? Let them choose where they can have more fun. Just another thing, I have Champ and Ench. Ppl complaing about champ suond extremely retarded to me, champ playing bad can smash 80%of melee (not good friars, paladins reavers or high RR stealthers) but got literally destroyed by all pet casters (SM, BD, cabalists enchs, necrosetc..), so full of Champs? Adapt! log your caster or make one. With my Champ I destroyed all others Champs, 99%win rate,and they stop fighting with me, a lot of ppl is just bad. QQ about an easy counterable class is just retarded. Same thing for casters, ez counterable by stealthers and casters vs casters fine too. The only class over the top is the minstrel that can ez fu. Ck all the others, but I am complaing about minstrel not from now but from a long time.. Just too much utility and too good alone, in small man, in stealther group and in 8vs8. Minstrel has no counter
Wed 6 May 2020 12:18 PM by Razur Ur
1vs1 Zone after crazy rp nerf (25% lesser rps per kill and no task) is a little bit shitty. i got after 2 hours and 16 Kills only 10k rps and this is little bit low. clear i had
great 1vs1 fights but not every causal player get per houer 8 til 10 kills. would be nice if we get normal rps per kill without task or only 75% rp/per kill but
give task back. both nerf is to crazy and in a few days going not enough player in this in this 1vs1 zone for funny 1vs1 action.
Wed 6 May 2020 12:23 PM by Razur Ur
DarkDavion wrote:
Wed 6 May 2020 12:05 PM
evert wrote:
Wed 6 May 2020 11:57 AM

With my Champ I destroyed all others Champs, 99%win rate,and they stop fighting with me, a lot of ppl is just bad. QQ

I was the 1% of champ :-D
Wed 6 May 2020 12:27 PM by DarkDavion
Bro they will not add RPs anymore, just go every 30m to the dock and give 1 branch then comeback to pvp zone. Ahha yeah prob that was u need rematch
Wed 6 May 2020 12:42 PM by Darwinkx
PvP arena permanent
Server death imminent

Remove it
🙄
Wed 6 May 2020 12:46 PM by Razur Ur
DarkDavion wrote:
Wed 6 May 2020 12:27 PM
Bro they will not add RPs anymore, just go every 30m to the dock and give 1 branch then comeback to pvp zone. Ahha yeah prob that was u need rematch

yeah is better we meet us all in NF Solo Zone and let us there duelling, give more rps and is the same action how this special zone. and yesterday
I noticed that I almost only fought against NS, Champions, Fians and Minstrels. Of the 16 kills, 10 were hibs, probably because Hibernia Frontier
was broken.
Wed 6 May 2020 9:09 PM by SlowMo
Small Feedback of today (my personal view):

Solo gameplay frontier is non existent.

Solo gameplay in PvP Zone is a bunch of "fightpicking" and "no attack agreement" douchbags.

But I grant everyone his/her preferred playstyle. Sadly my preferrd playstyle was sacricied, which was solo frontier.
I do understand the wish to solo and fair fights, but this is not whats happening in pvp zone... how can a fight between caster and melee even be considered fair?

Well at least i didnt got added tonight, but I didnt run into a single solo, aswell.
Thu 7 May 2020 6:29 AM by Razur Ur
The RP nerf in the 1vs1 Zone is a joke ;-(. in the Frontier i need only 3 until 4 Kills and i get 5k rps with task and in the 1vs1 Zone i need 8 until 9 Kills for get 5k rps!
yesterday i running 30 Minutes in the 1vs1 zone with my champ and meet 4 Guys but nobody want duel with me and this is not funny. Uthred said more instand
action in the 1vs1 zone but i cannot see this instant action in the last two days. i had a fight all 8 until 10 Minutes, the same action i have in the Frontier too only
different most time me vs 1+ enemys.
Thu 7 May 2020 7:55 AM by Taniquetil
The over nerf of RP gain in the zone has slowed down interest, its not rewarding enough to low ranks in there to be worthwhile, they need to find a balance between allowing crazy rp gain, but still be enticing.

I think task ticks, or a zone specific task tick would be good.
Thu 7 May 2020 8:28 AM by evert
Why does it need to be rewarding? I thought you guys just wanted good fights? Why should soloing be actively encouraged in a mmorpg? If you want to have 1vs1s you now can, if other people don't want to do it then that's their choice right, we cater to all playstyles here! They shouldn't have to be tempted in with big RP rewards if it's so much fun to 1v1... You just want more low rr targets so you get more RPs and inflate your e-peen.
Thu 7 May 2020 9:30 AM by thirian24
So many f*cking haters when it comes to this zone. Holy shit. There are like 400 topics, everyone on there lying and crying about this and that, even when presented with facts and not emotional bias b/c they arent zerging down solos/smalls anymore.

To your point about clean/fair fights. Yes. That's what SOME of us want. Others want that too, but they also need to gain rps while doing it. If there isn't a reward there like there is in the FZ, they'll just go to the FZ and earn RPs and the zone will be dead. Which is EXACTLY what happened.

You cant get clean 1v1 action if there is no action to begin with.

I seriously don't understand why the people who literally do not participate in this play style, give a shit.

Zergs are rewarded heavily for PvDoor.

8man is rewarded for /gvg regardless if they win or lose.

Why does the solo community continue to get punished?

Yes we have a new zone, now its not being utilized. Now it can be thrown in our faces that we don't actually want what we asked for.

GG
Thu 7 May 2020 10:20 AM by CubanXv
If anything killed the zone it is this need for only clean 1v1s. The zone had massive potential for RPS even since the nerf, but no one gets any playing the way you have essentially turned the zone. These lowbies that are losing fights would still be getting rps if everyone just fought and didn't have their personal KD ratio in mind. Waiting until the "adder" releases then going back to the circle jerk only promotes the status quo that this is a duel zone. The solo community did this shit to themselves. I was ALL for the zone and its type of action, but you elitists have planted your flag and region spammed everyone away. No lowbie is coming in here with a chance against your giant rr10s temped to the teeth, with THOUSANDS of hours mastering your little macros. You think you know what you want, but Uhtred nailed it right on the head. You just want massive rps for arranged duels, and that in an already l33t crew is laughable. Go back to discording your fights in the FZ and itll be like nothings changed. People like YOU, Thirian, killed this zone. Not the RP nerf, not by a long shot.
Thu 7 May 2020 11:17 AM by Razur Ur
evert wrote:
Thu 7 May 2020 8:28 AM
Why does it need to be rewarding? I thought you guys just wanted good fights? Why should soloing be actively encouraged in a mmorpg? If you want to have 1vs1s you now can, if other people don't want to do it then that's their choice right, we cater to all playstyles here! They shouldn't have to be tempted in with big RP rewards if it's so much fun to 1v1... You just want more low rr targets so you get more RPs and inflate your e-peen.

The problem with your mindset is that you exclude all low RR duelists and because they have no chance to improve due to a lack of RPS. And finally, there are only a few high RR opponents in this zone and these few high RRs can also meet in the Frontier 1vs1 area, making this 1vs1 zone a total waste of resources.
Thu 7 May 2020 11:26 AM by Noashakra
the chicken with their OP 1vs1 class adding everything are what killed the zone for me and /bow in front of the TP.
Thu 7 May 2020 12:21 PM by DarkDavion
Hi DEVs, I think you're right, people are extremely ungrateful and chasing only the realm points. It is now evident, at this point I am sure that if you put a special door to beat that would give you 100 realm points to each blow most people would be there all day to see that number grow more and more. Having said that, people seem to hate the duel club. I like to duel, however I understand who after a certain number of duels with the same people is bored, (I could spend hours dueling other champions, I love mirror duels). Maybe given that many suffer this thing could insert a POC like system ? In the sense that after you meet someone if you do not start to fight after several seconds you will be killed by dark forces (it would give us a darker setting than the pyramids XD), also it would need some reward for the low RR losers (even maybe keeping the same amount of total RP for the higher RR) as well as the Hastener.
Thu 7 May 2020 3:43 PM by thirian24
CubanXv wrote:
Thu 7 May 2020 10:20 AM
If anything killed the zone it is this need for only clean 1v1s. The zone had massive potential for RPS even since the nerf, but no one gets any playing the way you have essentially turned the zone. These lowbies that are losing fights would still be getting rps if everyone just fought and didn't have their personal KD ratio in mind. Waiting until the "adder" releases then going back to the circle jerk only promotes the status quo that this is a duel zone. The solo community did this shit to themselves. I was ALL for the zone and its type of action, but you elitists have planted your flag and region spammed everyone away. No lowbie is coming in here with a chance against your giant rr10s temped to the teeth, with THOUSANDS of hours mastering your little macros. You think you know what you want, but Uhtred nailed it right on the head. You just want massive rps for arranged duels, and that in an already l33t crew is laughable. Go back to discording your fights in the FZ and itll be like nothings changed. People like YOU, Thirian, killed this zone. Not the RP nerf, not by a long shot.

You seem butt hurt.

So I'm the bad guy because I'm good at my class? Makes sense.

And no, I'd much rather be out roaming around like I was on day 1, organic fights, being added on etc. sometimes I won with the add, sometimes I lost. It was fun. I hate the little duel area going on now. It's boring as shit. But it happens that way now because after 24hrs there is 10 people there running from 2 zones. Please use your brain. If people were still able to make the same rps as they can in the Fz, there would be a good population in the pvp zone. I'm glad you know so much about me and/or people like me though.
Thu 7 May 2020 8:19 PM by Ceen
The only conclusuon I got so far is if you want some internet drama you open a 1vs1 pvp zone.
Fri 8 May 2020 2:24 AM by Tupacalipse
Suggestion to save the zone and keep both sides happy:

Include the solo zone in the Task area rotation.

This way every once in awhile there will be an influx of people to the zone to make it worth visiting / enjoyable, without significantly affecting the zergers/8mans NF.

It would be a great shame to let such a great zone go to waste. The first 48 hours were the most fun I've had on this server.
I hope something can be done to encourage more activity and revive it. Until then, it's just going to be the same 9 people dueling at the portal.

-Pollinator
Fri 8 May 2020 6:40 AM by SlowMo
Wait... there are low RR Players in the Zone?

Funny to see how the Pro Elite Jerx trying to justify the RP farming zone with "care" for low RR - this really made my day.

Besides that, Am I the only one seeing that the community has become way more salty? :-)
Fri 8 May 2020 2:15 PM by Uthred
pvp zone
- the solo part is now last man standing matches
- the number of players per last man standing match will be 10 to start with
- a new last man standing match starts whenever there are enough registrations
- clicking [fight] on the teleporter while solo will register you for last man standing
- last man standing has a time limit and a range limit
- the zone once again gives task participation, the normal kill rewards remain reduced
Fri 8 May 2020 2:23 PM by Razur Ur
Uthred wrote:
Fri 8 May 2020 2:15 PM
pvp zone
- the solo part is now last man standing matches
- the number of players per last man standing match will be 10 to start with
- a new last man standing match starts whenever there are enough registrations
- clicking [fight] on the teleporter while solo will register you for last man standing
- last man standing has a time limit and a range limit
- the zone once again gives task participation, the normal kill rewards remain reduced

last bd standing is the better term :-D
Fri 8 May 2020 2:48 PM by dearen75
Last man standing .. OMG .. I appreciate you guys are working for keep the game interesting and you have to dance between keep the game balanced and listen to ppl whining .. but this is not the way .. PVP solo zone was nice at start .. now it will be dead soon .. if you think a PVP zone with tasks and full RPs is too unbalanced then make it like an event sometimes (once per month maybe ?) .. it would be also more appealing then a permanent zone .. or restore the arena idea (also as event) .. but like this it can't works .. my 2 cents
Fri 8 May 2020 3:14 PM by Razur Ur
I ask me why givent rp bonus in solo area in the frontier for only Solo player? and all another player duo/smallgroup or fullgroup get 50% lesser rps
if they killing solo´s in the solo area! this area is not rly huge.
Fri 8 May 2020 8:22 PM by Jingo NZ
I'll definitely be trying this version. I wonder if you could make it so you can queue for the zone from anywhere so that you don't have to wait around in staging?
Fri 8 May 2020 9:04 PM by Jingo NZ
From a game theory prespective:
Should allow respawn otherwise the incentive will be to NOT fight.

Every death you get stackable +%dmg buff. Resets to zero when you participate in a successful kill.
Fri 8 May 2020 10:04 PM by Jingo NZ
I wouldn't work too hard to perfect a permanent solo pvp zone. Keep it roughly as it was and make it a regular event.

Rvr focus is the rigbt long term focus. Solo QOL enhancements include:
Solos can port to solo zone and EV without dieing there first.
Add hastener to solo zone and at task flags.
Put frontier supply merchants at task flags that accept all 3 realm soil/snow/branch items. 3x normal exp/gold/rp rewards for turn in. Limit max turn ins per flag.
Sat 9 May 2020 2:57 AM by Jingo NZ
Jingo NZ wrote:
Fri 8 May 2020 9:04 PM
From a game theory prespective:
Should allow respawn otherwise the incentive will be to NOT fight.

Every death you get stackable +%dmg buff. Resets to zero when you participate in a successful kill.

OK now that I've played event, it's too small and quick for respawning with 10ppl at all times.
Sat 9 May 2020 8:59 PM by DarkDavion
I like the new solo pvp LMS, the RP are good and is just up to ppl focusing down stronger class before. I love it
Sat 9 May 2020 9:04 PM by Quik
DarkDavion wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 8:59 PM
I like the new solo pvp LMS, the RP are good and is just up to ppl focusing down stronger class before. I love it

But will it attract more soloers? Or will it have BD's and Necro's and Champ's and people will scream and cry they can't compete and just sit in Fz and cry they are getting zerged in one place and ganked in the other by OP classes?
Sat 9 May 2020 9:25 PM by gruenesschaf
Quik wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 9:04 PM
But will it attract more soloers? Or will it have BD's and Necro's and Champ's and people will scream and cry they can't compete and just sit in Fz and cry they are getting zerged in one place and ganked in the other by OP classes?

Yes
Sat 9 May 2020 9:27 PM by Quik
gruenesschaf wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 9:25 PM
Quik wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 9:04 PM

Yes

LOL
Sat 9 May 2020 9:32 PM by DarkDavion
I am having a lot of fun, a lot of stealthers scout archers not so many BDs XD BDs and minstrel got zerged and champs too. But is fine, if u pick a strong class is deserved
Sat 9 May 2020 9:51 PM by Blitze
The first day of the free-for-all solo pvp was best... but that quickly became dull due to duelling as some classes are obscene 1v1 (BD, champ, mini)

This last-man-standing event is less fun (than day one FFA) as the chaotic element isn’t there and the waits between deaths are longer. But people playing often regulate the fight difficulty with me (as a friar) always jumping in to 2v1 a mini/champ/BD/SM as I know that if they are alive I cannot win.

I hope the Devs keep coming up with fresh ideas like these but I do believe that all of these pvp things will work better as 1day a week events on a rotation!

Thanks to the Devs for the effort
Sat 9 May 2020 10:18 PM by DarkDavion
For me is good how is now, at least I don't got roll over bt 8+ppl
Tue 19 May 2020 5:25 PM by Caemma
DarkDavion wrote:
Sat 9 May 2020 10:18 PM
For me is good how is now, at least I don't got roll over bt 8+ppl
Yeah, I don't even get roll over anything now

Something tells me that it's not working properly...
(btw: server up since more than a day, it's not a reboot ^^)

The FFA mode allowed everyone to find "their way" to fight/succeed:
  • Roaming
  • Adding
  • Duelling
  • Ambushing
  • Spectating
  • etc.

The LMS mode is a nice idea for "real" turnaments, but really bad for daily action for different reasons:
  • Repetitive conditions
  • (on the long run it gets stale)
  • Adding is promoted/necessary
  • (which isn't bad per se, but annoying after a while)
  • There is not enough "thrill" on being there
  • (scoreboard, statistics, winner announcement, etc.)
  • No stealth lore buff after not engaging a fight for too long
  • (they can stay stealth as much as they want avoiding fights)
  • In this mode many classes are entirely cut out or severely disadvantaged - while the rest have easy going
  • (i know this is how daoc is, but we would like to give fun to the most possible right?)
  • etc.

Imho, the pvp zone got butchered too early/far since the start... it was indeed fairly easy to get rps, but honeslty you can do the same without fighting anybody (keep/tower trading for example) at least here you actually had to fight real people to gain anything.

Things that could have been done at the beginning (or Now!):
  • Put a timer to who died in the zone (1 min?) to give more importance to survive
  • Reduce the rp pool gain one joining the pvp zone (compared to acutal rvr zones)
  • Increase the rp pool gain every minute the player is still alive in there (killing the stronghest gives more rps, while farming the easy targets wont!)
  • A way to recognize who's currently surviving the most in there (you know it creates some kind of fun knowing it!)
  • Profit (and fun!)
Mon 25 May 2020 7:55 PM by Smudly
Excited to see the next revamp of the PvP zone- even if it's an event.

Are there still plans to continue the permament PvP Zone?

The Last Man Standing was fun- it's just always empty now.

Hell make a 2v2 zone - but make all the "OP" classes solo. BDs, Minstrels, Necros, Champions, etc. rofl.
Mon 25 May 2020 10:30 PM by thirian24
For the love of god. Please do something
Tue 26 May 2020 6:05 AM by inoeth
since archery changes solo play is even more impossible, just everywhere you go a bunch of archers shooting at you. i tried it for the last 2 weeks but had to log off after 1h becasue its impossible to go out... meanwhile enjoying sekiro and waiting till phoenix is playable again
Tue 26 May 2020 9:25 AM by gotwqqd
inoeth wrote:
Tue 26 May 2020 6:05 AM
since archery changes solo play is even more impossible, just everywhere you go a bunch of archers shooting at you. i tried it for the last 2 weeks but had to log off after 1h becasue its impossible to go out... meanwhile enjoying sekiro and waiting till phoenix is playable again

I’ve found much of the archer furor has died down.
It’s a fraction of what it was previously and approaching pre buff levels
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics