Pertaining to the Emptiness of Non-Realm Task RvR Zones

Started 13 Feb 2019
by bruzabrocka
in Open Community Votes
Strawpoll

Realm tasks have a nice reward for very little invested. They are definitely a good system to have.

What is a "bad" thing, in my humble opinion, is how they inherently take away from the population of the other frontier zones.

I have sat outside an enemy portal keep in a frontier zone that was not the current realm task for upwards of 20 minutes before seeing a single soul. That guy then just ran back inside the portal keep presumably to port to the realm task zone and join the fiesta at one of the mile gates.

A very simple way to rejuvenate the activity health of other zones is to introduce a delay between tasks. People will organically go to the other zones while awaiting the next realm task.

To offset the lower amount of RPs gained over time from chaining realm tasks, perhaps the reward can be increased a bit.

Thanks for your time! I would appreciate any and all insight into this issue.
Wed 13 Feb 2019 7:27 PM by defiasbandit
Everybody would just go to Emain most likely. The reason the non task frontiers are empty is because there is no good PvE farming there for level 50s. Also, because the realm tasks give free RP and tell everyone to go there.
Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:39 PM by Sepplord
That strawpoll is one of the most biased polls i have ever seen. Is it a joke or do you want the results to actually be considered?

If you really want to poll something and not just get self-confirmation do at least a simple google on polling. For example a poll with yes and no answers is already biased, and i Hope it doesnt have to be explained what is wrong with the only answer option that does not favor a delay
Thu 14 Feb 2019 12:49 PM by Medzz
The task system was good during the beta with 800 players on, with 4000 it is way too zergy.

Maybe going back to the old task system (Odins, Emain, HW at the same time) would be a good idea.
Thu 14 Feb 2019 9:21 PM by defiasbandit
Medzz wrote:
Thu 14 Feb 2019 12:49 PM
The task system was good during the beta with 800 players on, with 4000 it is way too zergy.

Maybe going back to the old task system (Odins, Emain, HW at the same time) would be a good idea.

This is something that is simple and should be considered. I would have separate RP pools in each Frontier, so that you could earn more RP by killing players in the less populated realm task.
Fri 15 Feb 2019 7:52 AM by Sepplord
IF they revert back to that system, i believe it's important though that you can only be active in one task at the same time, otherwise we will have some kind of circle tagging before anyone starts actually finishing the task

Still i believe it would lead to the constant checking of "which task will complete first...i have to go there"
Fri 15 Feb 2019 7:34 PM by Dimir
I think the problem is real but I don't think delaying the tasks is the right solution. My proposal:
- Make the location of the tasks random per player/group between each frontier (Fight in Hadrians/Emain/Odins for example).
- When a task rotates, everyone in your group gets the same task.
- Sync the ending of the tasks / make them wait on the other tasks to finish before they cycle. For example every player will have one of the three above and the #s will be balanced so they should end close to the same time. Once they are all done they rotate.
- Revamp the keep taking task to a set amount of time or remove it entirely because it is a pretty awful experience 9/10 times. Remove the chaining of keep tasks.

This would still move people between zones within a frontier and help split the population into each frontier.
Mon 18 Feb 2019 2:30 AM by Frieza
Can i just say, the one thing i dont know if anyone has considered, is what if, whatever change we make, what if population goes down? What if people (or the majority) prefer the zerg fest and then if something changes, population declines?

I love the suggestions, dont get me wrong, but i think the people who want it to stay in one zone are stealthers who want to camp and wait for the best moment. Which isnt 100% of the population although it looks like that on the forum.

im just worried we've already got a perfect system and people keep trying to bend it to suit their own agenda without considering the long term affects to the server. I have a 50 stealther, and a 50 group char, and i can only see this benefiting the stealther to make any change that pushes people in the other zones. again just y thought though.
Mon 18 Feb 2019 4:00 PM by Nightwish
Frieza wrote:
Mon 18 Feb 2019 2:30 AM
Can i just say, the one thing i dont know if anyone has considered, is what if, whatever change we make, what if population goes down? What if people (or the majority) prefer the zerg fest and then if something changes, population declines?

I love the suggestions, dont get me wrong, but i think the people who want it to stay in one zone are stealthers who want to camp and wait for the best moment. Which isnt 100% of the population although it looks like that on the forum.

im just worried we've already got a perfect system and people keep trying to bend it to suit their own agenda without considering the long term affects to the server. I have a 50 stealther, and a 50 group char, and i can only see this benefiting the stealther to make any change that pushes people in the other zones. again just y thought though.

I am pretty sure you hit the nail in the head. Forums posters are generally the vocal minority and this has been the case for most mmos I played.

I like the fact that I can zone in, port to the frontier where the task is and more than likely get a grp to start earning rps. There isn't much waiting around for grps or to try to figure out which task zone one needs to go to in order to find grps (in case multiple tasks at the same time idea gets implemented).

It is simple and effective. I like it a lot and have no problem with it.
Mon 18 Feb 2019 8:15 PM by Quik
I for one would rather the dev's not tinker with something that is so MASSIVELY popular.

Yes I understand a lot of lowbies are only there to get free RP's, and who really cares. I see a lot of people complain on here that lowbies are ruining it. Seriously? They don't affect you so just ignore them and play your own game.

Right now it is obvious a VAST majority of the server is having fun doing this so please don't try to take away from what the majority of players are enjoying.

I still see posts every night in /region and /advice about people wanting groups to get out to the zerg and kill things. Lost of these players never had anything like this. Let them enjoy it.

IF it tapers off in a few months then absolutely, lets look at it again. Right now though, just let people have fun.
Sun 3 Mar 2019 2:11 AM by GXDBioHazard
I also like the new rvr task system. When its zergy thats true rvr. Also id like to see them add PvE tasks in non invade zones for exclusive loot that could see your group ganked trying to kill the green knight etc.. i lovehow the devs are trying new things
Sun 3 Mar 2019 2:24 AM by Afuldan
GXDBioHazard wrote:
Sun 3 Mar 2019 2:11 AM
I also like the new rvr task system. When its zergy thats true rvr. Also id like to see them add PvE tasks in non invade zones for exclusive loot that could see your group ganked trying to kill the green knight etc.. i lovehow the devs are trying new things

There is feather loot for Green Knight, isn’t there?
Mon 4 Mar 2019 11:54 AM by Tritri
Quik wrote:
Mon 18 Feb 2019 8:15 PM
I for one would rather the dev's not tinker with something that is so MASSIVELY popular.

Yes I understand a lot of lowbies are only there to get free RP's, and who really cares. I see a lot of people complain on here that lowbies are ruining it. Seriously? They don't affect you so just ignore them and play your own game.

Right now it is obvious a VAST majority of the server is having fun doing this so please don't try to take away from what the majority of players are enjoying.

I still see posts every night in /region and /advice about people wanting groups to get out to the zerg and kill things. Lost of these players never had anything like this. Let them enjoy it.

IF it tapers off in a few months then absolutely, lets look at it again. Right now though, just let people have fun.

I have yet to encounter someone in a group that tells me "Yeah I like this task system".

Literally everyone that I grouped with is fed up with it. Of course it may be biased, but I really would ike to see a poll from the devs asking if people like this system or not.

But it's hard to make a good poll asking the real question. The poll about porter is nice but maybe people that like the port system would like to see it on all realm at the same time or maybe the ones that voted no did it for the same reason

But it's interesting to see that there are a lot of "yes", because it's harder to get a yes in a yes/no question than a no (since people can say no for multiple reason, but to say yes you have to agree to a lot of the thing that the situation implies)
Mon 4 Mar 2019 12:11 PM by Sepplord
Tritri wrote:
Mon 4 Mar 2019 11:54 AM
But it's interesting to see that there are a lot of "yes", because it's harder to get a yes in a yes/no question than a no (since people can say no for multiple reason, but to say yes you have to agree to a lot of the thing that the situation implies)

JFYI in polling a Yes/No question is already seen as slightly biased because people tend to say yes easier, not the other way around.
Mon 4 Mar 2019 12:11 PM by Sharky04
The problem is if you make tasks in all zones at the same time no one would go to alb rvr ever again, because of how horrible the zones are designed, especially pennine. It would be everyone in emain all over again.
Mon 4 Mar 2019 1:24 PM by Tritri
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 4 Mar 2019 12:11 PM
Tritri wrote:

JFYI in polling a Yes/No question is already seen as slightly biased because people tend to say yes easier, not the other way around.

I would like to see stats to back this up, because I heard the opposite and you don't bring any justification for the choices you suppose they make (why do people tend to say yes ? I explained why people tend to say no)
I found an historical result of referendum of the last centuries in Australia, and clearly, it's no most of the time. Then again it's hard to find more stats on this matter, but if you have a legit source of information about that, I'm interested

https://www.aec.gov.au/elections/referendums/1999_referendum_reports_statistics/Referendum_Background.htm
Mon 4 Mar 2019 2:29 PM by Sepplord
Tritri wrote:
Mon 4 Mar 2019 1:24 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 4 Mar 2019 12:11 PM
Tritri wrote:

I would like to see stats to back this up, because I heard the opposite and you don't bring any justification for the choices you suppose they make (why do people tend to say yes ? I explained why people tend to say no)
I found an historical result of referendum of the last centuries in Australia, and clearly, it's no most of the time. Then again it's hard to find more stats on this matter, but if you have a legit source of information about that, I'm interested

https://www.aec.gov.au/elections/referendums/1999_referendum_reports_statistics/Referendum_Background.htm

I can give the explanation like it was taught in the HBX Core Program (https://online.hbs.edu/courses/core/), sadly i am not allowed to share/post their course materials/documentation. The reasoning given in the course was that the majority of people are "wired" all their life, that saying yes is the easy answer (shortterm), while answering no often leads to consequences short term. Like when someone asks you: do you want to eat X for lunch. When you say No you have to come up with an alternative, or even explain why. If you simply say yes, then no more actions will be required from you.
Even if not relevant in the survey itself, this pre-programming lets indifferent/torn people tend towards saying Yes rather than No. I don't think it is flawing the current poll in a significant way, though, i purely mentioned it since you said it the otherway around.

After you mentioning you heard differently i tried to google for it, but didn't find anything proving either me or you wrong really.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquiescence_bias

This seems to prove me right on first sight, but when going to the general site https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Response_bias and reeding the Chapter about acquiescence bias, there is also mentioning of the opposite effect happening.

Maybe acquiescence bias happens more often, that's why it has a "real name" while the opposite is only referred to as "Nay-saying" but being completely honest: there is no proof for that statement besides my bias because being right feels better than being wrong
Mon 4 Mar 2019 2:38 PM by Tritri
Would be interesting to find a study on referundum's historical results =)

Surely it exists somewhere
Tue 5 Mar 2019 3:02 AM by vadox
Population will decline no matter what happens. There are lot of factors to population fluctuations, not just task system.
Suspend whole task system for few weeks and see what happens. People will not leave the server in masses in just few weeks of not giving them free rps.

Seeing lowbies port to task zone, get speed, and run to mg to get killed and then brag about getting free rps and free xps - is the insanity at it's best.
To make it easier with the same effect, just pop a message for every player when task changes realm
"Would you like free rps and free xp?" - if answer is yes, just deposit 5 gold, one bub of xp and 500 rps to that player so that he/she can just keep doing what they were doing w/out wasting time porting around.
Tue 5 Mar 2019 7:57 AM by Sepplord
it's too late to remove it completely now. You will scare away everyone that hasn't "gotten theirs" yet...

You can't have a system that inflates RR-gains massively and then take it away after 6weeks when the no-lifers have gained a million RPs through tasks
Tue 5 Mar 2019 3:39 PM by Brokenstring
How do you know the vast majority are having fun doing this? The poll on the teleporting favored (slightly) removing it. Some people clearly like the brainless zergfest, some don't. I think it's probably split fairly evenly from my anecdotal conversations.

The bottom line is, to me: A system where a lvl 20 can go out to Emain for 10 seconds, die and then sit in the PK for 14:50 AFK, and then get 500+ RPs is NOT an ideal system. It's broken, I'd argue.

At the LEAST make a change to have the frontier realm tasks have a level minimum of 35, to coincide with the BGs ending at 34.
Fri 3 May 2019 12:50 PM by jackatom74
There should be a realm point honor penalty for killing someone way below your level. If I run out 10 minutes to farm an xp item and some 50 kills me in one swat just for fun that is much different than dieing to someone of my same or similar level.
Fri 3 May 2019 6:21 PM by chryso
Well, now that you can get task credit no matter where you fight in the frontier everybody goes to emain.
I thought this was exactly what they wanted to avoid.
Fri 3 May 2019 6:30 PM by Roto23
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:39 PM
That strawpoll is one of the most biased polls i have ever seen. Is it a joke or do you want the results to actually be considered?

If you really want to poll something and not just get self-confirmation do at least a simple google on polling. For example a poll with yes and no answers is already biased, and i Hope it doesnt have to be explained what is wrong with the only answer option that does not favor a delay

yah, it was pretty biased so I decided not to vote.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Open Community Votes or the latest topics