Do you prefer OF or NF?

Started 19 Nov 2018
by BaldEagle
in Open Community Votes
https://strawpoll.com/x9kckwa3

Some pros I can think of for each are listed below. Please add any of your own.

Old Frontiers:

Pros
-Quicker action as much will be centered around mile gates
-No Boat rides
-Old keeps (If you prefer these)
-More classic DAoC feeling

New Frontiers:

Pros
-Smaller zones
-Potentially a much smaller walk for certain realms
-New keeps (if you prefer these)
-Towers
-Swim under water
-More room for Solos and 8mans to not be added
-Potential to attract people from live or returning players who are turned off by live changes
-Potentially better for the longevity of the server (debatable)
-First freeshard with NF
-Warmap and more ports
Tue 20 Nov 2018 4:15 AM by Sepplord
the only good thing about NF were the keeps...

everything else was a let down (for me)
Tue 20 Nov 2018 7:17 AM by Disco
The best change was the teleport chains. but the possibility to change the zones faster without a massive suicide at the pk's every time sounds very attractive.

Let's face it, suicide is not a solution to fix problems

However, introducing NF would be too time-consuming and probably unrealizable
Tue 20 Nov 2018 7:47 AM by Cadebrennus
NF. Ruined keeps, towers, and mazes were excellent to RvR in
Tue 20 Nov 2018 9:11 AM by Skorra
NF was introduced when 2000 players played on each server. Prime time there are 300 players on Live and the most Frontier zones are empty. And be honest, the long boat rides and under water fights s... as hell. And the Keeps create low bob Xyroman-Zergs ... tapping on wood is a Live server affair.

Ruined Keeps = Milegates.
OF = Emain! Instant action 24/7, Rps, Fun, Skill ... why change it? What is so desirable to watch a Keep wall? Phoenix-Live will probably have 350 players (PvE, RvR) in prime time, nobody will defend.
But Hibs mabye need a Breifine Keep Port.
Tue 20 Nov 2018 11:41 AM by vronismus
Phoenix with NF will make Uthgard 2.0 great again.
Tue 20 Nov 2018 12:43 PM by Kaosfury
Cadebrennus wrote:
Tue 20 Nov 2018 7:47 AM
NF. Ruined keeps, towers, and mazes were excellent to RvR in

New frontiers, keeps , towers, trebs, puls, oil.

NF the best. If Phoenix had New Frontiers I think I would pass out from Joy
Tue 20 Nov 2018 3:39 PM by Druth
My best DaoC memories were from 2003 to 2006, so the last days of the old republic (OF) and the time before Lab.
So the majority of my DaoC enjoyment was in NF, but that does not mean I think NF is better. It was better for me...

I do think NF was a better design though.

Milegates:

These are the focus for RvR action, the problem being that they can not be avoided by the realm behind them.
In NF these were substituted by Bridges, which attracted action, but which could also be avoided by swimming.

Bad terrain

It's clear to most (all?) that the designers understood why people liked Emain. Lots of flat space, with options for flank/ambush.
And it's clear that they understood how bad Alb frontier was.

NF got flatter terrain, with less agro all over (you could run from Beno all along the rivers and not meet any agro.
NF also got cliffs that were one-way only, which created a new dynamic.

Instant action

Port keeps, boats and the option of capturing twrs/keeps to gain port to enemy realm was amazing for the action.
Gone were the insane Portal keep guards, with perma port into enemy realms. Now you actually had to win port to realms, and you could cut of port.
But keeping the boat option open at all times.

I think all in all NF was an improvement, but it also had issues.
Tue 20 Nov 2018 4:04 PM by poisonclover
Most people that appreciated NF where people playing the game since alpha/beta it was a huge change and felt almost new like.. but it seemingly got old quick..

There was some great features like the keeps, because currently LOS issues, the way ramparts are set up, the port in doors and just the way they are set up isn't even viable for defending or fun in the least.
Tue 20 Nov 2018 4:20 PM by Arkeon
NF
Tue 20 Nov 2018 5:14 PM by Cadebrennus
Druth wrote:
Tue 20 Nov 2018 3:39 PM
My best DaoC memories were from 2003 to 2006, so the last days of the old republic (OF) and the time before Lab.
So the majority of my DaoC enjoyment was in NF, but that does not mean I think NF is better. It was better for me...

I do think NF was a better design though.

Milegates:

These are the focus for RvR action, the problem being that they can not be avoided by the realm behind them.
In NF these were substituted by Bridges, which attracted action, but which could also be avoided by swimming.

Bad terrain

It's clear to most (all?) that the designers understood why people liked Emain. Lots of flat space, with options for flank/ambush.
And it's clear that they understood how bad Alb frontier was.

NF got flatter terrain, with less agro all over (you could run from Beno all along the rivers and not meet any agro.
NF also got cliffs that were one-way only, which created a new dynamic.

Instant action

Port keeps, boats and the option of capturing twrs/keeps to gain port to enemy realm was amazing for the action.
Gone were the insane Portal keep guards, with perma port into enemy realms. Now you actually had to win port to realms, and you could cut of port.
But keeping the boat option open at all times.

I think all in all NF was an improvement, but it also had issues.

I think that if water pots were not allowed in NF then NF would be perfect. Because water wasn't a barrier (and could be exploited) it was the only thing that was wrong with NF IMO
Tue 20 Nov 2018 5:20 PM by Druth
Cadebrennus wrote:
Tue 20 Nov 2018 5:14 PM
I think that if water pots were not allowed in NF then NF would be perfect. Because water wasn't a barrier (and could be exploited) it was the only thing that was wrong with NF IMO

Moving through water at 100% speed was... idiotic

Agree, water which drowned you and which you swam slowly in, would be a good feature.
Tue 20 Nov 2018 7:11 PM by BaldEagle
disallowing going underwater and no pots should be an easy change.

Surprised the vote is as close as it is considering the feedback on here.
Tue 20 Nov 2018 9:13 PM by gruenesschaf
While NF may solve many many problems OF had, there are no intentions to launch with NF or make NF available shortly thereafter. OF is absolutely not perfect but neither is NF and we hope that our rvr tasks will at least alleviate some of the OF problems.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Open Community Votes or the latest topics