Defender & Invader Event

Started 25 Apr 2021
by Uthred
in Open Community Votes
As already stated on Discord (#new-event-discussion) yesterday we're currently discussing an event idea where at the start of the event will be set to 1 rp / rr1. After the event is over you will be back to your normal RR plus the RP gained during the event.

Facts about the event:
- it will take place in whole NF, the RR reset will only be active in NF
- RP gained in the event zone, NF, will be added to your event RR and also immediately to your normal RR which will be in effect when you zone out of NF
- it would start about a week after the upcoming playing field event (about may 17th) and will last for one week
- ra respecs will be free in NF during that week

A new ingame voting has been started. To participate in the voting, you need to log in to the game and you need to have a level 50 toon on your account which is at least realm rank 3. You only have one vote per account. Type ingame /vote and you will see the different options to choose from.

Your options will be:

1 - Yes, I want this event to happen
2 - No, I dont want this event to happen
Sun 25 Apr 2021 2:18 PM by DJ2000
Out of curiosity: defender & invader sounds like Fights around or inside structures.
Invading obviously means that it will be realm based.
All of nf also suggests that the objective to defend/invade will shift from one end to another.

Some kind of "time attack" ? Base Race? Large scale Gameplay?
Sun 25 Apr 2021 2:42 PM by Magesty
Edit *this doesn’t appear to be true. Not sure why I thought they were. Now the name is confusing me, too.

Based on this post, it sounds like they are using this name simply because those are RR1 titles.
Sun 25 Apr 2021 5:47 PM by Elises
Sun 25 Apr 2021 5:56 PM by Uthred
Magesty wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 2:42 PM
Edit *this doesn’t appear to be true. Not sure why I thought they were. Now the name is confusing me, too.

Based on this post, it sounds like they are using this name simply because those are RR1 titles.

Correct, thats the whole reason behind the name: You are either an Invader or a Defender, when having 0 rps. The only problem is that we dont reset to 0 but 1 and having 1 rp you arent a Defender/Invader anymore but a Skilltvakten and similiar.

So the name is not 100% correct but shows into the right direction and sounds way better than Realm-Point-Reset-Event. If anybody has a better name, feel free to let me know.
Sun 25 Apr 2021 6:04 PM by easytoremember
Uthred wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 5:56 PM
and sounds way better than Realm-Point-Reset-Event.
imagine
Sun 25 Apr 2021 7:25 PM by msitruk
Trying to fight vs rp inflation like this sound non sense :

RP-inflation is just how the game work actually You just need to share rps pool for all account and everyone will be rank 11+ on each reroll and can compete vs rank12+ ...
Then rebuild the herald website to have ladder reset every 3 month and people will still fight for glory.

Also add new rank 14 15 so we good to go for 3 years more
Sun 25 Apr 2021 8:13 PM by Ceen
Vote 1
Make ads ingame vote 111!!!!
Sun 25 Apr 2021 8:17 PM by Dreloc
As for me, and most of my guildmembers who already have a wife and kids it's quite hard to allocate time to play.

So if I get some time off under the week, it's 1-2 hours at max. That's why I try to focus to play less chars to get a higher RR to be competitive with all the RR10 + up there.

I just can imagine that, people with lots of time (and possibly a fixed setup) will climb the low RRs quite fast.

For me on the other hand, it will be hard to get to RR5 and the "base" RAs such as purge2, det9, ip, sos or whatever the char needs.

But maybe parents with kids are the smaller fraction on the server.... just to represent
Sun 25 Apr 2021 8:24 PM by Ceen
Dreloc wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 8:17 PM
As for me, and most of my guildmembers who already have a wife and kids it's quite hard to allocate time to play.

So if I get some time off under the week, it's 1-2 hours at max. That's why I try to focus to play less chars to get a higher RR to be competitive with all the RR10 + up there.

I just can imagine that, people with lots of time (and possibly a fixed setup) will climb the low RRs quite fast.

For me on the other hand, it will be hard to get to RR5 and the "base" RAs such as purge2, det9, ip, sos or whatever the char needs.

But maybe parents with kids are the smaller fraction on the server.... just to represent
Everyone but some nerds have the same problems dont bother. There will be more than enough low RR to fight.
Its not the set groups who are the top earners by the way its some 24/7 pug players.
Sun 25 Apr 2021 9:13 PM by gotwqqd
Don’t really see what this event accomplishes other than being an even playing field event for existing characters.

Question is will the casuals with low RR close/shorten the RR gap?
Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:02 AM by Beeblebrox
Perhaps it has been explained elsewhere but what is the purpose of this event? For most events the purpose is obvious, this one not so much.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 2:32 AM by SadNbad
The appealing thing from this idea would be to go the other way and give those of us who may never reach high RR (10+), a 7 day preview into what it could be like and what we'd be striving for endgame.

Tangentially, it would also be a great measuring stick to a lot of high RR people so they could see if they are winning due to their skill or simply due to their high RR.

or

Put a soft cap , rr3 at most.

Or

A 7 day event that resets RRs to 1 every 24hrs.

Otherwise, you loose the purpose of an even playing field after 1 day. On the contrary, you increase the disparity.

This event, as it is proposed would cater massively to the few who has more time on their hands than my beanie knitting grandma.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 6:30 AM by Jingo NZ
I would interpret the purpose of the event to be something like this:
    Events are fun and a major drawcard bringing people to pvp
    Some people would rather have events where they can progress existing characters
    Some people would rather have events that fit in with BG warfare, NF and realm pride.

This event is for those people.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 6:33 AM by Sepplord
at first i thought, that sounds like a fun and chaotic event...

but with RP progression it will probaly just suck for the first hours with absolutely nothing, if you aren't playing when the event starts.

Would prefer if there was no progression during the event, let everyone get their rewards onto their correct chars, but keep "even the playing field" while the event runs, imo
Everyone being 1L1 will create enough "now my class cannot do XYZ anymore / without RA X class Y is OP / etc... "
Mon 26 Apr 2021 6:52 AM by Zwei
Well, i also think the RR should be capped at RR2 (you can still earn RP's, but they will added after the event ends). So it would not lead to a much different powerlevel no matter if you join in from hour one or only on the last day of the event. Players who play a lot will still profit from it (since the RP's earned arent lost) and it would be a "battle on equal RR ground" from beginning to the end.

my2c
Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:12 AM by Nimmer
First I just want to say I love that the devs even consider these things, big thanks for that.

If I understand this event correctly then everything besides RR will be the same so the RvR behaviour during the event will not change, i.e. there will be zergs, 8mans, smallmans and solos. Just less abilities involved.

I feel like it's designed to appeal to me as a player with highest RR toon being around RR5 and multiple at RR4, but it somehow doesn't. It sounds like the outcome of who wins/lose a fight will be quite the same since it usually comes down to skill/spec/numbers/organisation anyway.

It should not appeal to most high RR players either since they lose their edge, other than being able to prove it's about skill, which we know

There's no harm in it though but it doesn't at all trigger the same excitement as the playing field event where I even try to get time off work and plan weeks ahead of what class to play.

For other events than playing field the title sparked ideas for events with a different map and objectives. Could be Dota style or like the good old 'Castle Fight' custom map in warcraft 3 with different lanes leading to the same objective and you're matched against an even amount of opponents in each lane, could be all from solo lane to zerg lane.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:58 AM by DJ2000
Uthred wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 1:44 PM
- it would start about a week after the upcoming playing field event (about may 17th) and will last for one week
Is the "Playing Field" Event a prequisite ?

Will the "Defender & Invader" Event not happen until the "Playing Field" Event (contributions) takes place ?

Or is there a Time window (if the event is approved obviously) that this event will fire off even without the "Playing Field" Event ?
Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:06 PM by Tyrlaan
gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 9:13 PM
Don’t really see what this event accomplishes other than being an even playing field event for existing characters.

Question is will the casuals with low RR close/shorten the RR gap?

You earn a lot more RPs when considered lower RR. This pool of more RPs gained will be added to someone´s RR12+ later.
They might have to fight as a low RR (vs. other low RRs) but at the end of the week they just had their diminishing returns RP progression suspended for a week.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:08 PM by Ceen
Everyone will earn more RPs since the drop off in task RP is quite harsh from rr7+ it doesnt really matter if you are rr7 or rr11 both get little to no ticks
And I suppose everyone should be rr7 by now if he puts in as little as like 3 h per week into one char - ups.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:33 PM by superallywatp1
Would be interesting if it were a different setting.

Assuming it would be a monthly / 6 week timed event etc... it would be pretty fun to make it in OF. Otherwise i don't really see the point.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:35 PM by Tyrlaan
Or in other words: very high RRs (who would otherwise earn less RPs) will benefit the most from this event. They will get "event RR" quicker than others (they´re usually fully decked-out, in scheduled groups and will probably play even more because they get a week-long RP buff) then add those RPs to their "pre-event RR". In the end this event is actually increasing the gap between those and low RR/casuals.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:50 PM by chewchew
I dont get it. In the discord discussion a GM posted that a goal of the event is to get some power parity on realm rank.
Yet you chose to move everyones realm rank to the rp-range where the power difference between realm points is highest.
Imho it would make more sense to (a) chose another starting rank (like rr5) or (b) keep the rr fixed for the event duration.
Downside to these two options would be that theres no scaling for rp boni. But maybe this could be done in another way?
Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:52 PM by Ceen
chewchew wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 12:50 PM
I dont get it. In the discord discussion a GM posted that a goal of the event is to get some power parity on realm rank.
Yet you chose to move everyones realm rank to the rp-range where the power difference between realm points is highest.
Imho it would make more sense to (a) chose another starting rank (like rr5) or (b) keep the rr fixed for the event duration.
Downside to these two options would be that theres no scaling for rp boni. But maybe this could be done in another way?
They could start at rr5 and change the bonus accordingly that it counts as rr1 for the duration of the event.
I have no insight of the code but if you run a server like that it is probably more work to write a reply than to to fix this.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 1:04 PM by Uthred
DJ2000 wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 11:58 AM
Uthred wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 1:44 PM
Is the "Playing Field" Event a prequisite ?

Will the "Defender & Invader" Event not happen until the "Playing Field" Event (contributions) takes place ?

Or is there a Time window (if the event is approved obviously) that this event will fire off even without the "Playing Field" Event ?
This would be a one-time-event. Maybe we would repeat it at some later point if people would really, really want it to happen again. But there are no plans to have it as a recurring event.

The only reason why i mentioned the playing field event is that we dont want it to happen very shortly before or after the playing field. For now we expect the playing field to start between May, 5th and May, 7th (7th most likely). if the start of playing field were to be delayed further, we would probably do the same to this event to have a certain amount of time between the two events. Like I wrote in the first post -> it would start about a week after the upcoming playing field event.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 1:27 PM by Beeblebrox
Jingo NZ wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 6:30 AM
I would interpret the purpose of the event to be something like this:
    Events are fun and a major drawcard bringing people to pvp
    Some people would rather have events where they can progress existing characters
    Some people would rather have events that fit in with BG warfare, NF and realm pride.

This event is for those people.

If you are responding to my question about what is the purpose of this event, your response only compares it to other events, specifically the pvp level event. I just want to know what this event is supposed to accomplish. I don't see it as more fun than regular pvp/rvr since we will be doing the same things. Somehow I don't think the purpose is to give high rr toons a bonus to rps as some suggest. I haven't heard from the devs what this is for. If it's just a bonus to rps why not just give everyone a bonus to rps as has been done in the past? There is nothing about it that makes me want to rvr/pvp anymore than I already do that I can see.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 1:46 PM by Lynee
As I see it (and probably that's why the vote is in) it's mandatory for everyone?

Also, agree on the fixed/capped RR, maybe with continued RP earnings, else the disparity between casual players and 24/7 ones will be huge after a day or so. Would be interesting to see no TWF, NM, VP task/zerg farming. Or just the ability to spec into passive basic RAs like aug dex, aug acu and leave out all the actives completely.

Maybe a week will be too long.

My vote: not totally for it, but also not totally against it.

Thanks for the continued work, Dev Team!
Mon 26 Apr 2021 4:26 PM by brandonb
1 - Yes, I want this event to happen
Mon 26 Apr 2021 4:36 PM by Beeblebrox
Well I'm sure voting here does nothing you have to vote ingame. However, I voted against it since I couldn't find out what it was actually supposed to accomplish that couldn't be done with rp buff.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:14 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 4:36 PM
Well I'm sure voting here does nothing you have to vote ingame. However, I voted against it since I couldn't find out what it was actually supposed to accomplish that couldn't be done with rp buff.

Really?

You can't wrap your mind around the difference between a group of RR3's fighting a group of RR3's and a group of RR5's fighting a group of RR11's?

It's really not that difficult to grasp what the reasoning behind this is.
Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:28 PM by Beeblebrox
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:14 PM
Beeblebrox wrote:

Really?

You can't wrap your mind around the difference between a group of RR3's fighting a group of RR3's and a group of RR5's fighting a group of RR11's?

Yes I know the difference but what is the purpose of the event? Is it that? I would definitely vote no for that! So where is this going? Restrict the rr levels more than they are as standard? Restrict the RA points you can earn? Reset everyone to rr1 for non-event? I don't want to go there!
Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:46 PM by gotwqqd
Beeblebrox wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:28 PM
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:14 PM
Beeblebrox wrote:

Really?

Yes I know the difference but what is the purpose of the event? Is it that? I would definitely vote no for that! So where is this going? Restrict the rr levels more than they are as standard? Restrict the RA points you can earn? Reset everyone to rr1 for non-event? I don't want to go there!

I think the point is to allow level 50’s an even playing field .
While also allowing the lower RR’s to close the rr gap(not the realm point gap)
Mon 26 Apr 2021 9:23 PM by joy
The even playing field is good and all, and the 'earned' rp goes to orignal pool is fine,
however we could see 24/7 players with set groups skyrocket, and on day two the entire idea of the event is moot!

Instead I would suggest a different way to keep the spirit alive.
- Earned rp's still go to original pool.
- Every 24h you get a rp reset to a fixed number:
Day 1: 1L1 - 1 rp
Day 2: 2L5 - 26k rp
Day 3: 3L0 - 62k rp
Day 4: 3L5 - 123k rp
Day 5: 4L0 - 214k rp
Day 6: 5L0 - 513k rp
Day 7: 5L5 - 735k rp
( Or just a flat 75k per day, so: 1L1 > 3L1 > 3L7 > 4L0 > 4L3 > 4L8 > 5L0 )

This way it would be daily progression that even people with limited time could enjoy, and 24/7 players would still blast ahead and earn much rp's for their main rp pool, but they would be set back to the same rp as everyone else every 24 hours.

Throughout the week it would slowly escalade, and finally on day 7 everyone would get enough ra points to cover all the essentials (without luxuries) on their toons.
Tue 27 Apr 2021 7:54 AM by Taglim
It's an interesting idea, but to really keep it even for people who can log in a lot compared to people who log in every so often everyone should stay at RR1L1 throughout the event (choose 1 ability wisely).
But the rps earned are counted in the background per character and the reduced ranks/abilities take effect only in designated PVP area, then after the event is over the rps are added to the characters that earned them.
It may well introduce some quite tactical gameplay with 8v8 and who knows what'll happen in a zerg.

That should keep every player on an even footing even if we do miss out on things like MCL or DET and also people who want to PVE can still use their realm abilities as in a different zone.
Tue 27 Apr 2021 8:56 AM by gotwqqd
Taglim wrote:
Tue 27 Apr 2021 7:54 AM
It's an interesting idea, but to really keep it even for people who can log in a lot compared to people who log in every so often everyone should stay at RR1L1 throughout the event (choose 1 ability wisely).
But the rps earned are counted in the background per character and the reduced ranks/abilities take effect only in designated PVP area, then after the event is over the rps are added to the characters that earned them.
It may well introduce some quite tactical gameplay with 8v8 and who knows what'll happen in a zerg.

That should keep every player on an even footing even if we do miss out on things like MCL or DET and also people who want to PVE can still use their realm abilities as in a different zone.
I’d say min of 1L5
Purge 1 so your not always messed rooted for 75 seconds
Tue 27 Apr 2021 3:05 PM by Talo
I don't get the idea behind this.
there is a falling graph on "free" rps (rvr activity, task zone). the higher your rank, the lesser you get.
resetting a rr10 char to 1 gives him the opportunity to get more rps again that are later on added to his real rank.
this will enlarge the gap of new players and old high rr.

2nd point: there is the cross realm event where on a prolonged weekend normal rvr is dead. now there will be this new event, another week where i can't play my toon with my hard earned realm abilities.
Tue 27 Apr 2021 3:19 PM by Olk
Talo wrote:
Tue 27 Apr 2021 3:05 PM
there is a falling graph on "free" rps (rvr activity, task zone). the higher your rank, the lesser you get.
resetting a rr10 char to 1 gives him the opportunity to get more rps again that are later on added to his real rank.
this will enlarge the gap of new players and old high rr

That one is easy.
RR5 needs 513,500rps. At rr11 500k rps are a little less than the way to 11l1.
So new chars get 50 realm abilitypoints while rr11 gets 0.

Is it really that hard to grasp the intention of this event? No offense meant, but it is such an easy concept
Tue 27 Apr 2021 8:59 PM by gotwqqd
Olk wrote:
Tue 27 Apr 2021 3:19 PM
Talo wrote:

That one is easy.

Is it really that hard to grasp the intention of this event? No offense meant, but it is such an easy concept
Any 50 likely already has upwards of RR3 or near RR5 if from playing field event.
How many RP will a RR5 get after reachieving RR 5 in event and tacking on those points?

Just a bit shy of RR6 so 10 points....I’d say still substantial
If they can push to that point. But for casuals I don’t see much of a difference.
Wed 28 Apr 2021 1:53 AM by Beeblebrox
Olk wrote:
Tue 27 Apr 2021 3:19 PM
Talo wrote:

That one is easy.

I ask questions about this event because I don't want to see it become another recurring event like the level playing field event. I spend that time solo farming anymore. I don't mind if we have this event once but don't look forward to it being done over and over again. Or worse, if it's popular, will we all be set back to rr1 seasonally? Any rr levels I earn I want to keep. So since I can't get any clarification, I have voted no.
Wed 28 Apr 2021 5:18 AM by gotwqqd
Is there going to be mechanics for respec before and after event ?

Or are only RA’s affected by the RR “reduction”?
Wed 28 Apr 2021 6:21 AM by l00ri
So, if we are forced to play as an RR1 for a week, is there a chance that we get Full-/Line-Respecs this time ?

Last time we got force-downranked for participating in the Arena everyone with a composite 52-Weapon Spec was screwed.
Wed 28 Apr 2021 7:18 AM by Ceen
Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed 28 Apr 2021 1:53 AM
Or worse, if it's popular, will we all be set back to rr1 seasonally? Any rr levels I earn I want to keep. So since I can't get any clarification, I have voted no.

No one ever said something like that, the GMs rather repeated it like hundreds of times that they will not reset the RR ever.
I sense a propaganda post to scare people.
Wed 28 Apr 2021 9:45 AM by byron
In the last weeks there are just two types of play-styles : zerg and GvG, with some exceptions of course. Maybe this event will give more courage to some players to try something different, let's call it the middle way: random pugs or low/middle level guild groups that roam are quite rare in this period . Maybe this event will encourage also this type of play style, how knows... I would suggest also to not permit GvG fights in the task zone.
Since this event is only for one week, I would suggest also to limit the max RR to 5L0 maybe (but you'll continue to earn RPs anyway for later), just to not create a big gap between casual players and hardcore ones in term of realm abilities.
Wed 28 Apr 2021 11:31 AM by Beeblebrox
Ceen wrote:
Wed 28 Apr 2021 7:18 AM
Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed 28 Apr 2021 1:53 AM
Or worse, if it's popular, will we all be set back to rr1 seasonally? Any rr levels I earn I want to keep. So since I can't get any clarification, I have voted no.

No one ever said something like that, the GMs rather repeated it like hundreds of times that they will not reset the RR ever.
I sense a propaganda post to scare people.

No scare was intended. I have never read anywhere that promise. Even if so, we could have another event to suffer through run periodically. Not nearly as bad perhaps but not something I look forward to.
Wed 28 Apr 2021 6:24 PM by Uthred
This is the result of the voting:

864 (65%) = Yes, I want this event to happen
462 (35%) = No, I dont want this event to happen

In a few minutes we will start a new voting about possible RR restrictions/caps for the event. Thank you for voting.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Open Community Votes or the latest topics