Re: Defender & Invader Event

First I just want to say I love that the devs even consider these things, big thanks for that.

If I understand this event correctly then everything besides RR will be the same so the RvR behaviour during the event will not change, i.e. there will be zergs, 8mans, smallmans and solos. Just less abilities involved.

I feel like it's designed to appeal to me as a player with highest RR toon being around RR5 and multiple at RR4, but it somehow doesn't. It sounds like the outcome of who wins/lose a fight will be quite the same since it usually comes down to skill/spec/numbers/organisation anyway.

It should not appeal to most high RR players either since they lose their edge, other than being able to prove it's about skill, which we know

There's no harm in it though but it doesn't at all trigger the same excitement as the playing field event where I even try to get time off work and plan weeks ahead of what class to play.

For other events than playing field the title sparked ideas for events with a different map and objectives. Could be Dota style or like the good old 'Castle Fight' custom map in warcraft 3 with different lanes leading to the same objective and you're matched against an even amount of opponents in each lane, could be all from solo lane to zerg lane.

Uthred wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 3:44 PM
- it would start about a week after the upcoming playing field event (about may 17th) and will last for one week
Is the "Playing Field" Event a prequisite ?

Will the "Defender & Invader" Event not happen until the "Playing Field" Event (contributions) takes place ?

Or is there a Time window (if the event is approved obviously) that this event will fire off even without the "Playing Field" Event ?

gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 11:13 PM
Don’t really see what this event accomplishes other than being an even playing field event for existing characters.

Question is will the casuals with low RR close/shorten the RR gap?

You earn a lot more RPs when considered lower RR. This pool of more RPs gained will be added to someone´s RR12+ later.
They might have to fight as a low RR (vs. other low RRs) but at the end of the week they just had their diminishing returns RP progression suspended for a week.

Everyone will earn more RPs since the drop off in task RP is quite harsh from rr7+ it doesnt really matter if you are rr7 or rr11 both get little to no ticks
And I suppose everyone should be rr7 by now if he puts in as little as like 3 h per week into one char - ups.

Would be interesting if it were a different setting.

Assuming it would be a monthly / 6 week timed event etc... it would be pretty fun to make it in OF. Otherwise i don't really see the point.

Or in other words: very high RRs (who would otherwise earn less RPs) will benefit the most from this event. They will get "event RR" quicker than others (they´re usually fully decked-out, in scheduled groups and will probably play even more because they get a week-long RP buff) then add those RPs to their "pre-event RR". In the end this event is actually increasing the gap between those and low RR/casuals.

I dont get it. In the discord discussion a GM posted that a goal of the event is to get some power parity on realm rank.
Yet you chose to move everyones realm rank to the rp-range where the power difference between realm points is highest.
Imho it would make more sense to (a) chose another starting rank (like rr5) or (b) keep the rr fixed for the event duration.
Downside to these two options would be that theres no scaling for rp boni. But maybe this could be done in another way?

chewchew wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 2:50 PM
I dont get it. In the discord discussion a GM posted that a goal of the event is to get some power parity on realm rank.
Yet you chose to move everyones realm rank to the rp-range where the power difference between realm points is highest.
Imho it would make more sense to (a) chose another starting rank (like rr5) or (b) keep the rr fixed for the event duration.
Downside to these two options would be that theres no scaling for rp boni. But maybe this could be done in another way?
They could start at rr5 and change the bonus accordingly that it counts as rr1 for the duration of the event.
I have no insight of the code but if you run a server like that it is probably more work to write a reply than to to fix this.

DJ2000 wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 1:58 PM
Uthred wrote:
Sun 25 Apr 2021 3:44 PM
- it would start about a week after the upcoming playing field event (about may 17th) and will last for one week
Is the "Playing Field" Event a prequisite ?

Will the "Defender & Invader" Event not happen until the "Playing Field" Event (contributions) takes place ?

Or is there a Time window (if the event is approved obviously) that this event will fire off even without the "Playing Field" Event ?
This would be a one-time-event. Maybe we would repeat it at some later point if people would really, really want it to happen again. But there are no plans to have it as a recurring event.

The only reason why i mentioned the playing field event is that we dont want it to happen very shortly before or after the playing field. For now we expect the playing field to start between May, 5th and May, 7th (7th most likely). if the start of playing field were to be delayed further, we would probably do the same to this event to have a certain amount of time between the two events. Like I wrote in the first post -> it would start about a week after the upcoming playing field event.
Building your world since 2017

Jingo NZ wrote:
Mon 26 Apr 2021 8:30 AM
I would interpret the purpose of the event to be something like this:
    Events are fun and a major drawcard bringing people to pvp
    Some people would rather have events where they can progress existing characters
    Some people would rather have events that fit in with BG warfare, NF and realm pride.

This event is for those people.

If you are responding to my question about what is the purpose of this event, your response only compares it to other events, specifically the pvp level event. I just want to know what this event is supposed to accomplish. I don't see it as more fun than regular pvp/rvr since we will be doing the same things. Somehow I don't think the purpose is to give high rr toons a bonus to rps as some suggest. I haven't heard from the devs what this is for. If it's just a bonus to rps why not just give everyone a bonus to rps as has been done in the past? There is nothing about it that makes me want to rvr/pvp anymore than I already do that I can see.