Re: GTAE - Should the way GTAOE works be changed?

Just imagine GTAOE has the equivalent of Volley for Archers:
- Should archers be able to shoot arrows in volley on top of a castle keep, maybe but from very close, cause its very high.
- Should archers be able to shoot arrows inside a keep -> no lol
etc...
GTAOE are just things being thrown from the sky like arrows, spears, thunder, etc...
Never (except when you care) explain, never complain, never pander.

Centenario wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020 12:12 PM
- Should archers be able to shoot arrows in volley on top of a castle keep, maybe but from very close, cause its very high.
etc...
GTAOE are just things being thrown from the sky like arrows, spears, thunder, etc...

with arrows we know how they work and can make comparisons to realism...

How you come to those conclusions about magic though is something you need to explain more clearly

Sepplord wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020 12:15 PM
Centenario wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020 12:12 PM
etc...
with arrows we know how they work and can make comparisons to realism...
How you come to those conclusions about magic though is something you need to explain more clearly

OMG, because I said its the magic equivalent of Volley for archery.
For sure if you want to trigger our imagination I could say:
Magic is the manipulation of atoms with the use of energy, which is similar to lightning, the further you get the higher the energy consumption.
If a spell cost X mana then the range is limited to that kinda range.
Also if you create spear dropping from the sky, once created they just drop down.
If you create an Energy bubble that burst, then it bursts out from its center point, but the bubble once created does not go through walls.

Energy creates matter, matter which is more easily understandable.
Never (except when you care) explain, never complain, never pander.

Centenario wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020 1:49 PM
OMG, because I said its the magic equivalent of Volley for archery.

That's just circular logic though...basically a "because i said so"-explanation
"Just imagine XXX" doesn't mean that XXX is true or that it should be the base for balance changes

It sounded as if you were trying to make it a reason for why GTAOE should work that way...
If you were just making a suggestion, it was a misunderstanding

It could be a ton of different things...i dont roleplay, but I am not the one recommending gamechanges based on my personal RP imagination...

And while it makes sense (to a small degree), to have believable (not necessarily realistic) mechanics for stuff that also exists in real life (like archery) i just don't see how to do that for something like magic that is made up and exists in various different forms ingame

Given the rather conclusive vote result the change will come in the next update today already.

Vote Results:

380 - Keep it as is
1568 - Targets require LoS to the Ground target

The next update will include the following changes related to this:
1) For normal ground target spells only those targets that have line of sight to the ground target will be hit, this affects players and npcs
2) A placed static tempest will work the same as a placed TWF, NM already work: when in keep / tower areas player can only be hit when they have line of sight to the effect location