Make hunter pet buff into an insta

Right now, the hunter str/con pet buff is, for all intents and purposes, worthless in RvR, because Hunters can't keep Stealth while letting the pet fight(devs say it's intended), and when they are jumping a player or getting into a fight, they don't have time to buff the dog. So they don't have time to prepare the dog, and everyone knows that it's a hunter's pet because of how it looks, it's not like an ice-strider or frore lich - it sticks out like a sore thumb. It has no unique abilities of it's own, like stunning or diseasing or being able to heal the user or nuking , so currently, there's no benefit to summoning it ahead of time to prepare for a fight. This makes the buff worthless.

Considering the amount of points one needs to invest into BC to make it worthwhile(the last pet buff is at 41 BC), and considering that BC doesn't have a lot going for it in the first place(AF+Dex which are barely better than pot except at the high end, and timed flight, which isn't as useful as it sounds), I think this would make the dog more worthwhile and make BC more valuable as a whole, rather than the dog just acting as a throwaway engagement modifier for the hunter(the buff actually does make the pet quite a bit more durable - problem is that we can't use it in any practical situation).

Re: Make hunter pet buff into an insta

ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:26 AM
You're supposed to have to make a decision between having the pet out and buffed, or not, not get a great pet instantly and for free.

First off, says who? I put extra points into BC for the buff, not so I could make that "choice" (which isn't actually a choice at all). Besides that, what you're suggesting isn't a choice at all - I already outlined why: the dog does not blend in at all, has no special abilities, and hinders the hunter because of how it peels him from hiding when it gets into a fight(note that I did not say 'summoned'. Summoning him ahead of time is currently a death sentence - anyone who drags their dog around with them in stealth, even strategically, is not only giving up the major benefit of the dog (instant engage on enemy), but is asking to be farmed.

The choice hunters have to make is between an instant pet vs a charmed pet, and that's an entirely one-sided decision at this point due to how the hunter+pet are implemented here.

As it stands now, it's a PvE buff. It's practically unusable for the reasons stated - it's about as useful in RvR as giving a pair of socks to someone with no legs. My suggestion would make it actually feasible in RvR. It's one of my gripes with BC spec, because of how lackluster it is in terms of benefits.

If the hunter could sit in hiding and sick his dog on an enemy from the safety of the shadows, I would be of a different mind on this(the dog isn't going to kill anyone by it's lonesome), but it peels you from hiding when it fights, and devs say it's intended.

Re: Make hunter pet buff into an insta

Seriously...
Dog does 80-115 dmg all day. On top of your spear dmg. Combined your doing 2-300. Not to mention that dps can be split and utilized for rupts…. or vice versa you can rupt with bow and dog can chase. Lots of utility in hunters, last thing they need is to worry abt a dam insta self buff for a pet that does 100 extra dmg.

#Givemeabreak #quit #re-rollorDelete

Re: Make hunter pet buff into an insta

Tigerforce wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 5:40 AM
Seriously...
Dog does 80-115 dmg all day. On top of your spear dmg. Combined your doing 2-300. Not to mention that dps can be split and utilized for rupts…. or vice versa you can rupt with bow and dog can chase. Lots of utility in hunters, last thing they need is to worry abt a dam insta self buff for a pet that does 100 extra dmg.

#Givemeabreak #quit #re-rollorDelete

I'd like to be able to actually use my pet's buff that I put points into. #givemeabreak #howboutthat

Yea, hunter can do decent damage - so can Reavers. What's your point?

Re: Make hunter pet buff into an insta

adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 5:18 AM
First off, says who?


Mythic Entertainment. You know, the people who made the game? This was brought up constantly back in the day, and the answer was always what I told you already.
7,881,878 | 4,708,489 | 3,049,781

Re: Make hunter pet buff into an insta

ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:17 AM
adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 5:18 AM
First off, says who?


Mythic Entertainment. You know, the people who made the game? This was brought up constantly back in the day, and the answer was always what I told you already.

Didn't realize this was Uthgard and that I was blasphemizing the 1.80 (sorry, 1.65) bible.

But since we're on the topic, where's my pet disease?

Re: Make hunter pet buff into an insta

the thing is: the hunter pet is currently immensely strong, so ofcourse the support for another petbuff is currently not existant

the only sensible solution right now, woul be to nerf the pet's stat and then apply the buff when it's summoned and it balances out.
But that would nerf hunter in PvE and in niche situations where he is able to summon and buff the pet before the fight (i know i have done it, especially around structures you can hide the buffed pet)

Would that really increase your fun, just because you know that your pet-buff is now used more?

Re: Make hunter pet buff into an insta

Sepplord wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 8:27 AM
the thing is: the hunter pet is currently immensely strong

In relation to what? The cabalist pet and it's nonstop stuns? Red minstrel pets that are a tough fight for any player by themselves? The orange horse that mentalists drag around? Bone army? SM pet that blocks for the SM?

It's not "immensely strong" - it hits slightly less than half as hard as my hunter on a good resist mob, and is a bit slower, and is evaded an awful lot more.
I'm not saying it's weak, but I didn't put 43 points into BC for a weak pet, either. I'd like to maybe get some ROI on that investment since it took points away from other areas, like bow and spear.

Personally, I think this entire argument is ridiculous on it's face - you speak as if it's some ground-breaking difference. My pet hits maybe 10-15% harder with red buff vs no buff. My point is the buff is totally useless in RvR right now(which no one seems to disagree with) so how bout giving hunters a way of using it instead of it just cluttering up their bar?

Re: Make hunter pet buff into an insta

adamaxis wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 8:43 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 18 Jul 2019 8:27 AM
the thing is: the hunter pet is currently immensely strong

In relation to what? The cabalist pet and it's nonstop stuns? Red minstrel pets that are a tough fight for any player by themselves? The orange horse that mentalists drag around? Bone army? SM pet that blocks for the SM?

It's not "immensely strong" - it hits slightly less than half as hard as my hunter on a good resist mob, and is a bit slower, and is evaded an awful lot more.
I'm not saying it's weak, but I didn't put 43 points into BC for a weak pet, either. I'd like to maybe get some ROI on that investment since it took points away from other areas, like bow and spear.

Personally, I think this entire argument is ridiculous on it's face - you speak as if it's some ground-breaking difference. My pet hits maybe 10-15% harder with red buff vs no buff. My point is the buff is totally useless in RvR right now(which no one seems to disagree with) so how bout giving hunters a way of using it instead of it just cluttering up their bar?

ok, maybe it was misworded. So i'll try again in easy words:

Hunter in total is immensely strong (not only the pet compared to other pets)

Being strong means buffs no no

Applying pet-buff automatically would be a buff

conclusion: auto-petbuff no no unless nerf elsewhere