Is it time for a resist timer on disease yet?

Started 16 Mar 2021
by Greasle
in Ask the Team
Slam, could arguably be a tanks best weapon. After use, the opponent gets a resist timer. This is fair, as chain slamming would be ridiculous.
Nearsight also gets a timer.. Root.. Mez.. Stun.. All because they greatly tip the balance of a fight.
Why then, does an assassin's disease NOT get a timer? It is extremely powerful... yet when purged, it can be immediately re-applied.
Tue 16 Mar 2021 2:22 PM by Sepplord
while i agree that desease-poisons last too long, i don't think comparing desease to hard CCs is fair

Stun - no stuncure in the game, does not break when attacked, you can do absolutely nothing

Mezz - fast castime cures on 2? classes per realm, breaks when you are attacked, you can do absolutely nothing

Root - no root cure in the game, breaks when attacked, only impaires movement, you can do everything else

nearsight - LOOONG casttime cures on 2 classes per realm, doesn't break when attacked, you can do everything but at limited range

desease - fast casttime cures on 2-3classes per realm, doesn't break when attacked, you can do everything, movementspeed slightly imapired, regen disabled, healing reduced

Looking at it objectively...it is the weakest form of CC in existance
Tue 16 Mar 2021 4:29 PM by Simon73
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 16 Mar 2021 2:22 PM
while i agree that desease-poisons last too long, i don't think comparing desease to hard CCs is fair

Stun - no stuncure in the game, does not break when attacked, you can do absolutely nothing

Mezz - fast castime cures on 2? classes per realm, breaks when you are attacked, you can do absolutely nothing

Root - no root cure in the game, breaks when attacked, only impaires movement, you can do everything else

nearsight - LOOONG casttime cures on 2 classes per realm, doesn't break when attacked, you can do everything but at limited range

desease - fast casttime cures on 2-3classes per realm, doesn't break when attacked, you can do everything, movementspeed slightly imapired, regen disabled, healing reduced

Looking at it objectively...it is the weakest form of CC in existance

On life in was on a timer like all the rest, here it's a paradise for hidden
Tue 16 Mar 2021 9:16 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Simon73 wrote:
Tue 16 Mar 2021 4:29 PM

Since when? Because for the first 12 years of the game, there was no reapplication timer.
Tue 16 Mar 2021 9:59 PM by protege
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 16 Mar 2021 9:16 PM
Simon73 wrote:
Tue 16 Mar 2021 4:29 PM

Since when? Because for the first 12 years of the game, there was no reapplication timer.

He doesn't know what he is talking about... disease never had an immunity timer.
Wed 17 Mar 2021 6:50 AM by Simon73
It's not disease that kills people, it's dot.. and i'm pretty sure there was a timer for it.
On all servers i played, starting from live (15 years+) and Uthgard + Genesys plus all the others a tank could survive vs 1-2 sins at a time even with group RA's.
Here you need to pray the god of War to have all RA up (purge - ip) etc etc and be specced for 1vs1 to maybe, and i say again MAYBE, survive
But yes, i could be totally wrong, i'm not here to argue, but to say what i remember.
Wed 17 Mar 2021 7:40 AM by Astaa
I spent 10+ years as a solo hero on excal and decent assassins could compete back then vs heavy tanks (Obviously it ebbed and flowed with patches)

I do however think debuffs need toning down a little to bring them inline with the fact we only have ghetto buffs in the first place, and I also think disease needs either an immunity timer or a much shorter duration, in line with other poisons...which wouldn't even be a true assassin nerf either, with the ease of re-application a shorter duration wouldn't affect a fight, and I'm pretty sure they get fed up with having to wait 1min++ after a fight to rest too...at least they have the luxury of hiding though.

Nothing will change ofc
Wed 17 Mar 2021 11:48 AM by Noashakra
On live, you could reapply dot on each swing (not possible on phoenix) so you remember wrong.
Assassins had 50% defense bonus vs shields and evade with the dual effect, vs 25% on phoenix.

Nobody argues vs the disease timer, it's annoying for everyone...
Wed 17 Mar 2021 3:03 PM by protege
Simon73 wrote:
Wed 17 Mar 2021 6:50 AM
It's not disease that kills people, it's dot.. and i'm pretty sure there was a timer for it.
On all servers i played, starting from live (15 years+) and Uthgard + Genesys plus all the others a tank could survive vs 1-2 sins at a time even with group RA's.
Here you need to pray the god of War to have all RA up (purge - ip) etc etc and be specced for 1vs1 to maybe, and i say again MAYBE, survive
But yes, i could be totally wrong, i'm not here to argue, but to say what i remember.

My rr4 warrior recently killed Brainstorm, one of the tougher nightshades on the server -- NO IP.
Wed 17 Mar 2021 3:04 PM by protege
Astaa wrote:
Wed 17 Mar 2021 7:40 AM
I spent 10+ years as a solo hero on excal and decent assassins could compete back then vs heavy tanks (Obviously it ebbed and flowed with patches)

I do however think debuffs need toning down a little to bring them inline with the fact we only have ghetto buffs in the first place, and I also think disease needs either an immunity timer or a much shorter duration, in line with other poisons...which wouldn't even be a true assassin nerf either, with the ease of re-application a shorter duration wouldn't affect a fight, and I'm pretty sure they get fed up with having to wait 1min++ after a fight to rest too...at least they have the luxury of hiding though.

Nothing will change ofc

Str/con poison was already nerfed, DoTs were nerfed (can't reapply every hit, and now you can't reapply to restart the timer either).

Disease should be 90sec long imo.
Wed 17 Mar 2021 3:59 PM by Magesty
I don't think adding a resist timer is a proper solution, at least off the bat, as then you are fundamentally altering the mechanics and would need to shift power elsewhere for a spec like Cave.

I do think changing the timer to a flat 15-40 seconds across the board is a more appropriate option. A flat 15-20 seconds for assassin disease and 30-40 seconds for yellow & red casted disease. This way classes and builds that rely on disease to kite can still use it to do so, and will have plenty of time to reapply as needed, but you aren't dealing with a 2 minute long debuff long after a fight is over or the enemy has left. It is a good change towards making the mechanic healthier from a gameplay perspective as currently it is a rote ability that you apply no matter what at the start of a fight with no counter play outside of 2-3 classes per realm.

I mean, you'd need to change it a lot more to make it a well designed mechanic (it would still be mindlessly applied most fights), but within the confines of reasonable change I think this is the best one could hope for.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics