HARDCORE FPS Drops with a modern Gaming PC

Started 3 Feb 2021
by NiitroX
in Ask the Team
Hey guys,

ive played the event now for 2 days and playin all the time with hard frame drops down to 20 fps.

I tested it with lowest possible settings - but still frame drops to 20.

Can you help me ? :/ makes no fun like that. If no one can help i have to quit phoenix >.<"

Checked everything but rly dunno why its like this.
Wed 3 Feb 2021 4:06 PM by Noashakra
I don't know the exact situation you are speakign about, but DAOC is an old game that doesn't profit from cores and multi threaded CPU.
So it's normal to suffer from FPS drops in super crowed areas.
Wed 3 Feb 2021 4:21 PM by Takii
I had the same issue yesterday and found a thread here that suggested a few things like rolling back drivers, however I managed to fix it (at least for now) without rolling back.

Type Services in the windows taskbar to open the Services list. Find Nvidia Display Container LS -> right click it -> Stop.
Thu 4 Feb 2021 7:27 AM by NiitroX
Thanks for you help guys appreciate it.

I will try it out later
Thu 4 Feb 2021 9:01 AM by byron
Daoc is a very old game, the performance depends only on the CPU and not the GPU and only on the single core performance, the fps cap is 125 in this game. Then there is the game engine that has its limits: in some zones or when the screen is full of players (zerg, epic dungeons, etc..), the fps drops a lot even if you have an AMD 5950X
Thu 4 Feb 2021 9:26 PM by Takii
There are actual issues with modern Nvidia drivers and this game, it's not a question of actual CPU or GPU performance. I know exactly what OP is talking about because I had the same issue on Tuesday (after updating my drivers to latest), and it's not an actual FPS drop as in consistently low FPS, but really just constant hitching/frozen frames to the point where it looks like low framerate.

Two other people I played with last night had the same issue and in both cases, stopping the Nvidia Display Container LS service fixed it immediately. Just be aware you may have two services that are called "Nvidia Container", so make sure you stop the correct one because only one of them actually fixes the issue.
Tue 23 Mar 2021 5:05 PM by Trix
Type Services in the windows taskbar to open the Services list. Find Nvidia Display Container LS -> right click it -> Stop.

Worked for me with 3080.

Thank you!
Tue 23 Mar 2021 7:10 PM by gotwqqd
Trix wrote:
Tue 23 Mar 2021 5:05 PM

Worked for me with 3080.

Thank you!
So you can do this every playing session instead of not allowing latest nvidea drivers to be loaded?
Tue 23 Mar 2021 11:56 PM by poplik
I have the hitching issue as well, unfortunately stopping the container service didn't work for me, but what helps is enabling cursor trails (if you set them to the lowest setting they are nearly invisible).
Fri 26 Mar 2021 5:54 PM by Takii
There are two 'container' services btw, make sure you stop both.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics