Damage Variance

Started 5 Jan 2021
by monkeygodbob
in Ask the Team
Hey there, just wondering when we can either introduce damage variance as bad as melee has to spells, or make it not vary when at 52+ comp for melee weapons. Seems quite unfair to have this "feature" for only melee, when melee is already much lower than caster dps.
Tue 5 Jan 2021 2:45 PM by Sepplord
Variance can also increase your dmg, it is not only a downside...
imo since burst is king, imo doing 75-125% dmg is beneficial compared to flat 100%
Tue 5 Jan 2021 5:17 PM by Astaa
The variance is bigger than I would personally like. I don't like RNG, PvP should be about precision imo. It is what was voted for though so it is what it is
Tue 5 Jan 2021 9:49 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Astaa wrote:
Tue 5 Jan 2021 5:17 PM
It is what was voted for though so it is what it is

By 4%...

A vote about a BG is that close and they have another vote, a vote that changes the entire game and they just go at face value.
Tue 5 Jan 2021 10:01 PM by gruenesschaf
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 5 Jan 2021 9:49 PM
By 4%...

A vote about a BG is that close and they have another vote, a vote that changes the entire game and they just go at face value.

The bg vote had 3 options and given how close it was there is now a vote between the 2 popular choices. For variance there was a vote to have variance or to not have variance.
Tue 5 Jan 2021 10:37 PM by Sepplord
To be fair, the vote was a shitshow and at best vague, probably even misleading.

But i have peace, that you are doing what you want with the Server how you feel it will be best. Overall that will probably lead to faster changes and better results than trying to constantly please all of us whiners
Tue 5 Jan 2021 10:41 PM by skipari
i still like the variance, a good roll or two often lead to a nice kill if the group works with it. And until then it mostly doesn't matter or averages out over time.

And its not like thats the only rng in this game, we have procs/resists/hits/miss/block/parry/etc...
Wed 6 Jan 2021 12:05 AM by monkeygodbob
I understand that it was voted for, by whom, I don't know, obviously not people that play melee. How ever, is there a possible way to make it so the variance goes from lets say 75-125 to 90-125 or something of that nature, the higher spec you have? As it is currently, when I swing for that lower end of the spectrum it just feels like I hit an ablative, but no, it turns out that it was actually just that awesome feature striking again. Is there anything we can do to lower the variance amount? Please?
Wed 6 Jan 2021 1:38 AM by daytonchambers
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 5 Jan 2021 2:45 PM
imo since burst is king, imo doing 75-125% dmg is beneficial compared to flat 100%

The end result of this is that fights are more determined now by RNG and less by player actions.

I personally already cursed the RNG gods often when I would be in a fight and my enemy enjoyed multiple ablative procs while I had zero, all due to my bad rng in the fight.

The obscene damage variance has only compounded this issue, where two equally skilled players have very different RNG luck during a fight and that alone is how the win is decided.

Which is stupid.
Wed 6 Jan 2021 1:51 AM by ExcretusMaximus
gruenesschaf wrote:
Tue 5 Jan 2021 10:01 PM
The bg vote had 3 options and given how close it was there is now a vote between the 2 popular choices. For variance there was a vote to have variance or to not have variance.

Fair enough, and I know you're a proponent of the set bonus on melee; it's just frustrating to be nerfed because the uneducated masses don't understand what they're voting for.
Wed 6 Jan 2021 2:30 AM by easytoremember
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Wed 6 Jan 2021 1:51 AM
Fair enough, and I know you're a proponent of the set bonus on melee; it's just frustrating to be nerfed because the uneducated masses don't understand what they're voting for.
"Those damned morons don't like what I like and voted wrong"
Wed 6 Jan 2021 4:09 AM by monkeygodbob
daytonchambers wrote:
Wed 6 Jan 2021 1:38 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 5 Jan 2021 2:45 PM

The end result of this is that fights are more determined now by RNG and less by player actions.

I personally already cursed the RNG gods often when I would be in a fight and my enemy enjoyed multiple ablative procs while I had zero, all due to my bad rng in the fight.

The obscene damage variance has only compounded this issue, where two equally skilled players have very different RNG luck during a fight and that alone is how the win is decided.

Which is stupid.

This 100%, I hit someone with Crippling blow earlier tonight for 20 less damage than a defenders rage. that is .46 growth rate vs 1.2 growth rate, 52 comp weapon 50+15 polearm spec. How is that even acceptable. Don't get me started on the variance on my hunter bow, or scout bow damage, Its atrocious.
Wed 6 Jan 2021 5:10 AM by ExcretusMaximus
easytoremember wrote:
Wed 6 Jan 2021 2:30 AM

Or, maybe I understand that it makes no sense that a caster can do more damage, from range, faster, and with zero variance, but a melee swing has a 50% variance possibility in a spec they have over 50 in.
Wed 6 Jan 2021 5:27 AM by easytoremember
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Wed 6 Jan 2021 5:10 AM
easytoremember wrote:
Wed 6 Jan 2021 2:30 AM

Or, maybe I understand that it makes no sense that a caster can do more damage, from range, faster, and with zero variance, but a melee swing has a 50% variance possibility in a spec they have over 50 in.
Casters suffer inability to cast when they're moving or being hit. It goes without saying their potential damage is higher and more reliable. If it were up to me their spell damage would have some degree of variance no matter how high they specced
Wed 6 Jan 2021 9:10 PM by Xinlitik
I understand that people voted for variance. I do understand the excitement of a lucky big hit. I think we would be better off though with smaller variance. Like maybe +\- 10% damage so there’s still the excitement of random chance but much less probability that a 8-12 hit fight is going to have tremendous variation
Wed 6 Jan 2021 9:35 PM by The Skies Asunder
I just will absolutely never understand people hating on damage variance, saying that the RNG of it is ruining/deciding melee fights, when you have no control over things as important as evade/parry/block/resist/miss/procs.

I could really not care less about casters receiving variance to their damage, as I rarely ever play them. If I were trying to defend the current position I would probably go the route of saying it is magic, and therefore has the same power all the times, where as melee strikes may glance off a bit rather than connecting exactly the same way every time, which would clearly be more realistic to melee. Really though, that argument is irrelevant to game balance.

I personally enjoy the variance, and hope it stays in the game.
Thu 7 Jan 2021 8:13 PM by Noashakra
Variance is nice because it change the way you fight. If someone is lucky, they can remove my last 15% in one hit, so should I puge debuff dot earlier and use my heal and risk a stun?
Also, it gives a chance for low ranks to kill high ranks if the variance is on their side.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics