That seemed important

Started 22 Oct 2020
by easytoremember
in Ask the Team
- fixed an issue where changing the emblem of a guild could cause the server wide save to fail
What's the most serious-bizarre bug you've found so far?
Thu 22 Oct 2020 1:35 AM by gruenesschaf
Back in prealpha we had an issue that should easily qualify as rather bizarre: when you got into data range of npcs there was a chance that they could appear as if they were mounting you or mounting each other. This was an issue where the announced packet size didn't match the actual packet size which could lead to all sorts of issues, often crashes but sometimes the client nicely interprets garbage in a functional yet unexpected way.

I guess the most bizarre with player impact was when we added gambling and had a torch as reward which had 1% quality which caused the melee damage formula to overflow leading to instant kills, figuring out that it was the torch was super quick, finding out why was not :p

In beta I think after rewriting how behavior is assigned to npcs I introduced a nice issue where after quite a while some npcs just decided to wander forever in a certain direction never to be seen again. Was especially fun when it happened to collection task npcs or smiths etc. Seeing that actually happen was a rather surreal experience.

A rather hilarious one wasn't fixed until quite a while after release, when asking guards /where something is they would just point in random directions, well not really random but it was based on the heading of the target npc instead of the guard and hence rather nonsensical. This was especially great when combined with the previous one. At some point while this was going on there was also an issue that the guard would turn towards you when you did /where and quickly return to their normal heading while having the point emote / animation giving you a completely useless arc of where an npc is supposed to be.

Until rather recently the build up of the great garbage patch in the nf oceans aka massive npc pile ups of former charmed pets trying to find their way home again.
Thu 22 Oct 2020 1:38 AM by ExcretusMaximus
gruenesschaf wrote:
Thu 22 Oct 2020 1:35 AM
Until rather recently the build up of the great garbage patch in the nf oceans aka massive npc pile ups of former charmed pets trying to find their way home again.

I loved that one, entire sections of the Aggramon shorelines just covered in lonely pets.
Thu 22 Oct 2020 1:58 AM by gruenesschaf
Reading helps :p Serious bizarre, eh?

Well, for some reason while redoing the database schema I never thought it necessary to really restrict the house ownership to one per realm per account and due to some weirdness some circumstances can allow you to have multiple houses. Combine that with "your house" being set on each restart and the house loading order being random and your lot can change from reboot to reboot.

Probably more hilarious but also quite serious when I first introduced npc reuse, this actually had two parts, the first one was rather terrifying: npc equipment wasn't reset when a different model / npc was made, this quickly made all sorts of mobs appear with the redcap or other weapons. Especially nice when the weapon is then actually visible on the client on some animals. The second part was super similar but this time with active pulse spells not being reset leading to then recently introduced darkspire pulse spells, like damage, amnesia or silence, to appear on any respawned mob including level 1 mobs.

Super serious and bizarre was a somewhat recent issue where random bonuses could permanently apply to your item and even overwrite existing bonuses, although it usually "only" overwrote those other random bonuses. To not break templates we even kept the existing bonuses which is why you can find some items with 2x the same bonus on it. The reason here was rather stupid and technical and basically when writing your own database library don't assume you will never encounter numbers above 10 in the field name (e. g. bonus_type10, bonus_value10, bonus_type11 etc) and now it lead to items with bonus 10 set to apply this bonus to all items that were updated in the same batch. This was kind of the result of an optimization, before we had an unlimited amount of bonuses on items but in a separate table, the optimization now pulled them all back into the items table and since there was already a handful of rogs with up to 14 bonuses that's how many fields are there now.
Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:14 AM by Nauglamir
Thanks for all the hard work - you created something great
Thu 22 Oct 2020 10:37 AM by easytoremember
gruenesschaf wrote:
I guess the most bizarre with player impact was when we added gambling and had a torch as reward which had 1% quality which caused the melee damage formula to overflow leading to instant kills, figuring out that it was the torch was super quick, finding out why was not :p
lol
Thu 22 Oct 2020 11:32 AM by inoeth
easytoremember wrote:
Thu 22 Oct 2020 10:37 AM
gruenesschaf wrote:
lol

oh was that the issue with this one infiltrator who one hittet everything for one day?
Fri 23 Oct 2020 2:12 PM by Horus
Wasn't there a bug where minstrel speed just kept increasing like to speed 100 and they were flying around everywhere?
Fri 23 Oct 2020 9:52 PM by Gildar
Nauglamir wrote:
Thu 22 Oct 2020 6:14 AM
Thanks for all the hard work - you created something great

Agree 1.000 x 1.000
Fri 23 Oct 2020 9:53 PM by Gildar
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Thu 22 Oct 2020 1:38 AM
gruenesschaf wrote:

I loved that one, entire sections of the Aggramon shorelines just covered in lonely pets.

This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics