Character/Guild name variations of Corona/Covid-19 - Zero-tolerance!!!

Started 19 Oct 2020
by Dsai
in Ask the Team
Saw this in announcements and attempting to see the rationale for banning a person for using the name of a virus? Ive seen names of diseases, "Schizophrenia", names of medical descriptors, "Necrotizing" (and variants of..) , medications, "Clozaril etc.. so I am at a loss of this Zero-tolerance!!! for name variations of Corona/covid-19? For the record, I'm a nurse at a major hospital where I live and deal with the Corona/covid daily at work and as we all do on a day to day basis in our communities. Please help me understand.
Mon 19 Oct 2020 10:16 PM by Expfighter
Dsai wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020 10:15 PM
Saw this in announcements and attempting to see the rationale for banning a person for using the name of a virus? Ive seen names of diseases, "Schizophrenia", names of medical descriptors, "Necrotizing" (and variants of..) , medications, "Clozaril etc.. so I am at a loss of this Zero-tolerance!!! for name variations of Corona/covid-19? For the record, I'm a nurse at a major hospital where I live and deal with the Corona/covid daily at work and as we all do on a day to day basis in our communities. Please help me understand.
if you see those names, /appeal them that is the ONLY way they know about them
Mon 19 Oct 2020 11:40 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Expfighter wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020 10:16 PM
if you see those names, /appeal them that is the ONLY way they know about them

Did you even read the original post?
Tue 20 Oct 2020 1:38 AM by gotwqqd
Dsai wrote:
Sounds like you lack sensitivity to those that have lost Simone too the disease. And sure you can try to rationalize that it’s no different than some drug names but your wrong
Tue 20 Oct 2020 2:01 AM by easytoremember
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020 1:38 AM
Dsai wrote:
Sounds like you lack sensitivity to those that have lost Simone too the disease. And sure you can try to rationalize that it’s no different than some drug names but your wrong
Why stop there? How dare someone use my dead gran papi's name ingame
:[ woe is me
Tue 20 Oct 2020 3:31 AM by Bradekes
Caring a little too much for people's possible current life situations is always better than caring too little. You never know how different people are affected and they want their player base to not be reminded of the negative right now by the toxic playerbase.
Tue 20 Oct 2020 5:51 AM by Dsai
gotwqqd wrote:
Dsai wrote:
So out of all that your focus was on medication names vs the additional examples I provided., very good. The mortality rate on other diseases are much higher , factor in existing comorbidities and that number only increases. All deaths in the US are tested for Covid. If the person tests positive, its automatically being attributed to Covid. Ex. you get hit by a car and die. If you test positive for Covid then its entered as attributed to Covid. That is the the US only which ranks #2 in deaths r/t Covid.

Globally deaths are currently around 1 million. You are still more likely to die from cardiovascular disease (est 17.3 in 2008) or in your case, a stroke (est 6.2 million 2008) than you are of Covid. You are still likely to die in a car accident (1.3 million) that from Covid at this time. An estimated 3 millions people die of Salmonella each year. I guess we should ban people naming violation for use these other diseases , viruses and other causes of death that have a higher mortality than Covid. Know what happens now if you are positive for Covid? Your sent home unless you are critically ill. So yeah I'm asking why they are throwing bans at people. Perhaps taking a step back and having a little perspective instead of going overboard might be a better route.
Tue 20 Oct 2020 6:57 AM by Uthred
Dsai wrote:

From the general rules:
Vile, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, sexual references as well as diseases and homonyms of these words

There is absolutely no reason to name a toon after something so bad and affecting so many people badly all over the world. Maybe there are people that think it is funny to name their toons after this, thats their personal opinion and we arent questioning this. But on Phoenix we dont want to see such names. Not sure if those guys still would think that it is funny, if someone of their relatives or closests friends would have died to it.
Tue 20 Oct 2020 8:07 AM by Ceen
Dsai wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020 5:51 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
Dsai wrote:
So out of all that your focus was on medication names vs the additional examples I provided., very good. The mortality rate on other diseases are much higher , factor in existing comorbidities and that number only increases. All deaths in the US are tested for Covid. If the person tests positive, its automatically being attributed to Covid. Ex. you get hit by a car and die. If you test positive for Covid then its entered as attributed to Covid. That is the the US only which ranks #2 in deaths r/t Covid.

Globally deaths are currently around 1 million. You are still more likely to die from cardiovascular disease (est 17.3 in 2008) or in your case, a stroke (est 6.2 million 2008) than you are of Covid. You are still likely to die in a car accident (1.3 million) that from Covid at this time. An estimated 3 millions people die of Salmonella each year. I guess we should ban people naming violation for use these other diseases , viruses and other causes of death that have a higher mortality than Covid. Know what happens now if you are positive for Covid? Your sent home unless you are critically ill. So yeah I'm asking why they are throwing bans at people. Perhaps taking a step back and having a little perspective instead of going overboard might be a better route.
Please post your pseudo statements on your facebook account and share it within your bubble but no us. Thank you
Tue 20 Oct 2020 8:43 AM by easytoremember
Ceen wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020 8:07 AM
Dsai wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:
Dsai wrote:

Please post your pseudo statements on your facebook account and share it within your bubble but no us. Thank you
His psuedo statements are backed by the CDC
https://wwwn.cdc.gov/nndss/conditions/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/case-definition/2020/
Tue 20 Oct 2020 9:31 AM by Ceen
easytoremember wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020 8:43 AM
Ceen wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020 8:07 AM
Dsai wrote:
gotwqqd wrote:
Dsai wrote:

His psuedo statements are backed by the CDC
https://wwwn.cdc.gov/nndss/conditions/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/case-definition/2020/
I don't think so
Tue 20 Oct 2020 9:36 AM by ExcretusMaximus
Dsai wrote:
All deaths in the US are tested for Covid. If the person tests positive, its automatically being attributed to Covid. Ex. you get hit by a car and die. If you test positive for Covid then its entered as attributed to Covid. That is the the US only which ranks #2 in deaths r/t Covid.

Ahh, you're one of those.

P.S.
No they're not.

P.P.S
If you're really a nurse I'll eat my hat.
Tue 20 Oct 2020 9:46 AM by Uthred
Im going to quote myself again as it might got lost in the quotes after:

Uthred wrote:
Tue 20 Oct 2020 6:57 AM
Dsai wrote:

From the general rules:
Vile, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, sexual references as well as diseases and homonyms of these words

There is absolutely no reason to name a toon after something so bad and affecting so many people badly all over the world. Maybe there are people that think it is funny to name their toons after this, thats their personal opinion and we arent questioning this. But on Phoenix we dont want to see such names. Not sure if those guys still would think that it is funny, if someone of their relatives or closests friends would have died to it.

The question of the OP got answered and you should now know why we put in this rule. This forum is not the place to discuss about Covid in general. Thats why im going to lock the thread. Thank you for understanding.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics