Account Sharing FAQ - UPDATED 01/09/20

Started 27 Jul 2020
by Beckett
in Ask the Team
Account Sharing (Rule 1.2)
Any given computer may only be linked to one account. Creating an account has and still does create a link between your account and computer and since the 3rd of march 2020 so does logging into the game. This computer link is permanent and cannot be removed.

What does this mean?
In practical terms this means: do not ever log another account on a computer that was already used to play the game with another account. Please note that it is fine to use however many computers you want with a single account, e. g. one pc at home and a laptop at work, as long as none of those computers have ever been linked with another account.

What are the consequences of breaking these rules?
Please note that the actual rules regarding sharing have not changed.
As of the 1st of September 2020 if you attempt to login using a computer that has been used for another account the login may be rejected with the message "Computer already assigned to at least one other account", these incidents have no consequences, the message is there to prevent accidental sharing.
Please note that the same computer definition used for the automatic prevention is much stricter than the general same computer definition to keep false positives as low as possible, all logins to different accounts that are not prevented by the automatic detection still count as a sharing violation.

For the first violation a 3 day ban will be applied to the involved accounts, further sharing will result in a perma-ban for the involved accounts.

I have bought a new computer and want to use it to play on Phoenix, what do I need to do?
You do not need to tell us that you have a new computer.

I am going away and want to use my laptop to play, is that OK?
Yes it is fine, as long as your laptop has only/will only be used for your account. You do not need to tell us.

Can I give my old computer to my partner/child/family member/friend, so they can play on Phoenix with a new account?
The simple answer is no.
Once a computer has been used to create or play an account then that computer is forever linked to that account, any additional account created or used on that computer will be considered sharing(and possibly a multi account).

Can I or can I ask you to unlink an account from a computer?
No. A computer once used for an account is linked to that account forever. We do not make exceptions for this.

I have bought a second hand computer from someone who plays on Phoenix, can I use it?
If they have not used that computer for their account then yes. If they have used it for Phoenix then no, you cannot use it.

Someone logged in their account on my computer without telling me first, what do I do?
In this circumstance it is still classed as sharing and both yours and the other persons account will be subject to the appropriate ban. Please note that even if the sharing offence(or even other breaches of the rules) happened months ago sanctions can still apply.

My IP address has changed, will this get me banned for sharing?
In normal circumstances a changing IP address is not something to be concerned about and you do not need to tell us.

I am going to visit a friend/relative and want to login when I am there, will I get banned for sharing?
Make sure the computer you log in from is not tied to another account then you will not be banned for sharing.

There is more than one player in my household will we get banned for using the same IP address?
As long as each account in your household is never used on a computer tied to another account then this is not considered sharing.
Mon 27 Jul 2020 1:02 PM by gotwqqd
What is the issue(meaning technically limiting) with the hard stance on a computer being FOREVER bound to an account? Where is cannot be given to another for exclusive use of a different/new account.
Mon 27 Jul 2020 1:44 PM by ExcretusMaximus
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020 1:02 PM
What is the issue(meaning technically limiting) with the hard stance on a computer being FOREVER bound to an account? Where is cannot be given to another for exclusive use of a different/new account.

It's too hard to keep an updated database apparently.
Mon 27 Jul 2020 3:38 PM by romulus
Hi!
While not specifically stated, if accounts could move freely between computers (and between users), then nothing technically would prevent the 3rd-party sale of accounts, which could expose the server to possible legal consequences, as well as add an extra layer of work for the already over-worked GMs and staff. ♥♥♥♥

P.S. Thanks for this FAQ, @Beckett@! Good answers to a lot of questions that get asked frequently. Maybe we could get a disco bot command to link to this FAQ?
Fri 28 Aug 2020 10:55 PM by Laron
I assume "computer" refers to the mainboard? Or could swapping out and re-using the hard disk in another PC also lead to trouble?
Tue 29 Sep 2020 11:08 AM by gamerone
I havent played Daoc for about 6 months. Today I tried to login and got the message "Computer already assigned to at least one other account" as described in your FAQ above.

For your info:
1. I have just one account, never logged in on another
2. I just played with this computer

The only thing that changed: Because playing on Linux with wine, I updated wine from version 4 to 5 some time ago and made a new fresh Wine-Environment. If that is the reason, that I cant login anymore, you maybe should work on your algorithm to detect account sharing.

For myself, I decided to remove Daoc from my PC and look forward.

Bye
Tue 29 Sep 2020 11:30 AM by Beckett
gamerone wrote:
Tue 29 Sep 2020 11:08 AM
I havent played Daoc for about 6 months. Today I tried to login and got the message "Computer already assigned to at least one other account" as described in your FAQ above.

For your info:

The only thing that changed: Because playing on Linux with wine, I updated wine from version 4 to 5 some time ago and made a new fresh Wine-Environment. If that is the reason, that I cant login anymore, you maybe should work on your algorithm to detect account sharing.

Bye

Please contact me on discord to resolve this matter
Fri 30 Oct 2020 11:03 AM by Ughi74
Buongiorno, sono un installatore pc e un utente di Phoenix. Ho reinstallato sistema operativo e quindi il gioco sul pc ad un amico con cui condivido la passione per Daoc. A casa mia con il suo pc ho loggato il mio account per testare se tutto funzionava. Adesso il pc è tornato dal legittimo proprietario ma se logga con le sue credenziali dice che il pc è collegato ad un' altro account. Come posso risolvere il problema? Non posso pensare che un pc da 1500 euro sia da buttare per poter giocare a phoenix

grazie

problema risolto, per adesso rifunziona tutto
Fri 25 Dec 2020 5:05 PM by kwi0001
Hallo,
ich habe zu Weihnachten einen neuen Compter bekommen und wollte mich nach langer Zeit mal wieder einloggen,
nach dem ich eine Zwangspause hatte, weil unser anderer Computer mit einem anderen account blockiert ist.
Beim Einloggen bekomme ich die Meldung, account suspended.
Muss ich nun einen neuen account anlegen, um weiter spielen zu können ?
Geht das überhaupt, oder ist meine Email Adresse mit dem alten account verbunden ?
Fri 25 Dec 2020 5:31 PM by Uthred
Du kannst nicht einloggen, weil der Account perma gebannt ist für multi accs. Am besten wendest du dich an einen Gamemaster im Discord, falls du noch weitere Fragen hast.
Mon 15 Feb 2021 8:34 PM by icepops
Beckett wrote:
Tue 29 Sep 2020 11:30 AM
gamerone wrote:
Tue 29 Sep 2020 11:08 AM

For your info:

Bye

Please contact me on discord to resolve this matter

Had the same issue. I was running Wine 4.0 on Linux Mint 19.3. After talking to Beckett on discord, I tried using the Lutris launcher (not sure if this is a Mint exclusive). I switched the embedded Wine version to 6.0, and it worked immediately. Most likely a Wine version issue.
Thu 18 Feb 2021 3:56 PM by oshariu
salve!
non giocavo a daoc da un po di anni ed avevo un account su un pc che adesso non esiste piu.
Non ricordavo èe password nè user ,ed il sistema di recupero ( non solo di password ma anche di user),è un po fallimentare.
Cmq il tempo di usare altro account e creare due pg che mi vengono recuperate le vecchie password.
ebbene....non posso cancellare questo account attulmente collegato al pc e riprendere con quello vecchio?
Fri 19 Feb 2021 2:38 PM by Tyrael
oshariu wrote:
Thu 18 Feb 2021 3:56 PM
salve!
non giocavo a daoc da un po di anni ed avevo un account su un pc che adesso non esiste piu.
Non ricordavo èe password nè user ,ed il sistema di recupero ( non solo di password ma anche di user),è un po fallimentare.
Cmq il tempo di usare altro account e creare due pg che mi vengono recuperate le vecchie password.
ebbene....non posso cancellare questo account attulmente collegato al pc e riprendere con quello vecchio?

Ciao Oshariu,

Grazie per aver controllato questo con noi.

È importante assicurarsi di utilizzare un solo account sul nuovo computer. L'utilizzo di più account non è consentito sul server.

Ti consiglio di mantenere il nuovo account (scartando il vecchio) e di tenere al sicuro l'utente e la password.

Buona fortuna!
Sat 13 Mar 2021 2:28 PM by Boanlkramer
Hello Beckett, I haven't played in over a year. It was not intentional that I signed in with the blasterboy account. I just wanted to try out after a long time whether I could get into any account at all. Regardless of my account or that of my son. And it worked with his account. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of my username until you wrote to me today. But now the PC is set to my son's account. What am I supposed to do now? We swapped PCs some time ago because mine was better and he wanted to play more demanding games. Now I can no longer log into my account.
Sat 13 Mar 2021 2:58 PM by Beckett
Boanlkramer wrote:
Sat 13 Mar 2021 2:28 PM
Hello Beckett, I haven't played in over a year. It was not intentional that I signed in with the blasterboy account. I just wanted to try out after a long time whether I could get into any account at all. Regardless of my account or that of my son. And it worked with his account. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of my username until you wrote to me today. But now the PC is set to my son's account. What am I supposed to do now? We swapped PCs some time ago because mine was better and he wanted to play more demanding games. Now I can no longer log into my account.

Please see your private forum mesasges
Mon 5 Apr 2021 11:00 PM by Hojo
Purchased a used computer off my friend. Went to log in and got the .. bound to account.. message.. didnt even realize this was a thing. Anyway to reset this? Or am I stuck with no chance to play?

Thanks in advance
Mon 5 Apr 2021 11:19 PM by gotwqqd
Hojo wrote:
Mon 5 Apr 2021 11:00 PM
Purchased a used computer off my friend. Went to log in and got the .. bound to account.. message.. didnt even realize this was a thing. Anyway to reset this? Or am I stuck with no chance to play?

Thanks in advance
get a new pc
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics