Enemy pets used as tactics to penetrate keep defenses

I was playing in Thid and noticed enemy in ck courtyard. Before my Runemaster could cast his first spell enemy pets were swarming me making it impossible to cast even one spell.I ran to the lord but he was busy killing other swarming pets...so my character died. So I logged in my other character that was in the keep...and promptly had the exact same experience. WALLS...DOORS mean nothing to enemy pets. This was one of the reasons I left regular DAOC. WHAT WILL BE DONE ABOUT THIS ?

Re: Enemy pets used as tactics to penetrate keep defenses

Hi!
I can sympathize with your situation. I love spirit cabs and I'm one of those that waits for some defender to poke out of the CK so I can sicc my pet on them. Before they took away the keep Lord's bow, it was just as easy to get killed yourself by doing that since the lord would switch targets to you and feather you with arrows if you healed your pet once he was on them. Now that the bow has been removed, unless you have a few friends to help you in the CK, pets will kill you dead.

If there is any consolation, it's that your realm has pet classes that can also do the same thing. SMs, Hunters, and BD pets can also go through doors and can wreak havoc on defenders. I've been in the reverse scenario (a lot lately) and it sucks to be flooded with pets while in the tower, but at least there is a balance to the terror.
Tamlan Tenderheart ♥ Highlander Cleric
Jasalina ♥ Excommunicated Briton Cleric - (Albion Traitor, Fugitive)
Tamera ♥ Avalonian Cleric - (Assigned to Thidranki)
[Knights of the Hospital]

shintacki wrote:
Mon 4 Nov 2019 5:27 PM
Short answer: nothing. Long answer: level to 50 where you have more tools and more guards to help you kill the pets and it won't be as big of a deal.

Pets have always gone through keep doors and they always will. Numerous people have complained about it and no one cares.

Lack of any action proves your point.

romulus wrote:
Mon 4 Nov 2019 6:00 PM
Hi!
I can sympathize with your situation. I love spirit cabs and I'm one of those that waits for some defender to poke out of the CK so I can sicc my pet on them. Before they took away the keep Lord's bow, it was just as easy to get killed yourself by doing that since the lord would switch targets to you and feather you with arrows if you healed your pet once he was on them. Now that the bow has been removed, unless you have a few friends to help you in the CK, pets will kill you dead.

If there is any consolation, it's that your realm has pet classes that can also do the same thing. SMs, Hunters, and BD pets can also go through doors and can wreak havoc on defenders. I've been in the reverse scenario (a lot lately) and it sucks to be flooded with pets while in the tower, but at least there is a balance to the terror.

Hunter pet is weak and dies in about 3 hits. Caby and Chanter pets seem to live a hell of a lot longer.
Necro pet -- impossible to kill solo or even with Lord and another player.
BD pets suffer from not healing the commander due to LOS issues so they die pretty fast too once out of sight.

I think Necro pet is the worst offender here. It's wayy too overpowered.
If a single Necro and cleric can solo a RR10 tower captain, something is seriously wrong with this and it needs fixing.

Well with a Necro-Pet its actually the Necro killing you himself, as he channels the spells through the pet.
If that's fair or not doesn't matter, the Class always was like that, until it was completely changed on Live to a class, thats more like a Cabba with Shapeshift then.
And it also doesn't help to whine about the pet/keep-issue, it's a coding-thing that probably would lead to even more problems, if it was changed to prevent pets as well as any monsters from moving through obstacles. would need a completely new pathing.
And since Phoenix itself is a freeshard, i do not think you want to pay the manpower to really change that, do you?

So in all honesty, yes, it's sometimes annoying, but DAoC always was about RvR and not Player-vs-Player, there always were some classes, that in a 1on1 are all but "fair" or "equal", so just don't go alone, have somebody to kill the pet, or stay next to others, that simply can kill it down, and its the pet-caster that has to regularly spend his power to recast his pet, over and over again

Addition:
And just to make that clear, all realms have a slightly... uhm... less balanced class thanks to SI..
Necros, ofc.. but in certain situations you also dont want to face a Bonedancer nor an Animist alone, or even in a small group, it always depends on the class you are playing as well as the situation.
Just think of the Shrooms placed inside PoC, yay, fun.
Or think of Insta-Lifeleech + several-Healer-Pets when you are alone yourself..

That's just how it goes, and how it always was. DAoC is no W**-game, where only exist two Realms that are completely equal to each other.. all 3 Realms are different with different classes and combinations of abilities, ofc you never will be able to balance that on every 1on1, and its also not supposed to be balanced on 1on1.

I thought I would do the devs a favor and express how I am having less fun than expected.Perhaps ( I thought) the post would inspire an action to improve this and other players experience . The easy thing to do is stop playing this game and keep my mouth shut. All I have to do is nothing.

BTW the act of attributing motivation to someones comments, defines those who would do so.