Uthred reviewed this issue Sat 31 Oct 2020 10:11 AM
Uthred reviewed this issue Tue 3 Nov 2020 9:58 PM
Uthred reviewed this issue Tue 3 Nov 2020 9:59 PM
Uthred reviewed this issue Wed 4 Nov 2020 8:08 AM
Uthred reviewed this issue Tue 10 Nov 2020 12:52 PM
Uthred reviewed this issue Tue 10 Nov 2020 1:26 PM
Uthred reviewed this issue Mon 16 Nov 2020 7:48 PM
Uthred reviewed this issue Mon 14 Dec 2020 9:12 AM
Uthred changed the status of this issue from new to backlog Mon 14 Dec 2020 9:12 AM
gruenesschaf assigned this issue from Nobody to gruenesschaf Sun 20 Dec 2020 5:39 AM
gruenesschaf changed the status of this issue from in_progress to resolved Sun 20 Dec 2020 5:40 AM

Archers shooting through the ground floor / ceiling texture of towers

Archers can currently shoot through the ground floor / ceiling texture of towers. They sit in the basement, and shoot through the ceiling/floor of the tower at people on the next level.
This issue is already heavily bug abused on a daily basis by numerous rangers (see appeal) and thus needs to be solved ASAP. Sorry for sounding overly dramatic but this is literally killing every tower fight vs hibs with 99% of the playerbase not even knowing what the hell is going on and why they just die. If this knowledge spreads further then all tower fights will devolve into scout/ranger/hunter groups sitting in the basement killing everyone above (a thing hibs already do with their ranger groups).

If this texture issue can't be fixed then archery indoors needs to be removed completely for towers (in the meantime). This is unacceptable in the current state.

Update1: I did a quick test with a scout (thanks for the help!). We found 4 holes that are 100% shoot-through. From the basement to the lordroom or the floor inbetween. If you stand in these places the enemy archer in the basement can 100% hit you with all his arrows, with an assist of 5-6 archers this is an instant death. Just "driving-by" these spots also seem to be enough to let the shot go through, even if you just ran over that spot for a split second.

Here are the 4 spots I found in the quick and dirty tests:
Oil level 1:
https://imgur.com/fHIGol6
Oil level 2:
https://imgur.com/c28jtv8
Lord room 1:
https://imgur.com/rMPdHq7
Lord room 2:
https://imgur.com/a4EzO0c

On top of that I also got shot multiple times simply running around on the different floor levels and up/down the staircases between oil-level and lordroom. It seems to happen due to glitching through the floor (extrapolation to reduce visible lag?) as the scout reported seeing me appear at the basement for a split second. Or due to multiple smaller holes that I couldn't pinpoint exactly in this small test. (by "drive-by" shots I explained above)

I'm sure there are plenty more holes where the archer in the basement can hit people above him in the tower, probably depending on his own position and his target position. This was just a very quick test and I already managed to find 4 definite holes and plenty of random hits.

Update2: Here is the video of the test, sorry for the bad quality, I hope it is good enough to see the random hits I got running through the tower. The scout position didn't change the entire test and is showcased at the end. (sorry I forgot to start the video at the beginning)

Video is currently uploading but here is the link already:
https://youtu.be/Gaoc6XBz-Fs

Re: Archers shooting through the ground floor / ceiling texture of towers

Strikejk wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:55 PM
Archers can currently shoot through the ground floor / ceiling texture of towers. They sit in the basement, and shoot through the ceiling/floor of the tower at people on the next level.

My archer is, amazingly enough, unable to target players on different levels of towers because there is no line of sight available to target. How do you imagine archers are able to accomplish this amazing feat? Is it a ground target volley bug?

Strikejk wrote:
If this texture issue can't be fixed then archery indoors needs to be removed completely for towers (in the meantime). This is unacceptable in the current state.

Odd, doesn't seem to stop albs and mids from taking hib towers and keeps? Meanwhile the pet classes have been exploiting the ability to ignore doors, walls, and ceilings since I've been on the server, which hasn't been that long, btw. I guess you demand an immediate removal of pet class abilities at keeps and towers to, yes? That's only fair to the rest of us, including the archer community, no?

Sounds more like you're experiencing lag issues, as I have not been able to reproduce the effect you're complaining about while in game on my archer. There ARE times, however, when a char will lose line of sight moments before an arrow is released, and due to lag, the arrow WILL land on target despite the char being out of LoS. This is not unique to arrows though, as lag works the same way with some casted spells sometimes.

Nidd wrote:
Mon 26 Oct 2020 11:56 PM
Strikejk wrote:

100% untrue, you die when arrow is in flight running to the next level. you cant shoot through floors.

keep crying tho.

next.
Evidence is uploading as we speak. I edited the OP with the links.

FRom my POV it looks like someone puts in quite some time to test serverissues and document them, and ofvcourse the "targetted victims" immediatly come in with snarky comments and try to deflect from the issue.

I agree though that removing archery from towwers is a bad solution. It is again an issue that "should" be solveable by enforcing a few heavy bans (and/or RP-resets, it's exploiting in RvR after all imo worse than RP-farming) on the people exploiting here IT it really is as it seems in the video (aka. you have to stand in certain spots to use the exploit). It doesn't seem likely that this exploit happens by accident (though that needs to be evaluated before taking action ofcourse

I am not sure I have ever encountered this bug but it does look suspect...however...

You would have to be a pretty bored archer to stand on one floor and wait for someone to stand in the exact spot that you can glitch a shot through. It's difficult to target in towers anyway with all the textures getting in the way, more often that not you just end up targetting "xxx tower" and in some situation it even fires on keeps for 0 damage

It's likely that you have been hit after glitching out because of lag (ghosting), there isn't a great deal anyone can do about that. LOS is checked when you draw your arrow and when you fire, it is not checked while the arrow is in flight. I am not sure the devs can do anything about that mechanic either.

But anyway, there are far more broken things in game, I saw a necro using a cata while in shade form last night ffs. Albs go out of their way to send pets through closed doors, again it's not really in the spirit of the game but there isn't anything the devs can do about it.
Pagan Death Cult

Tough one to deal with. Just as other weaknesses of the Engine like Pet-Pathing, this may, or may not, never be resolved.

The Problem, as per usual, are Players that go for these kind ob "loopholes" to get some kind of "advantage".
Yes, there is not much of an advantage to be had as a Solo just as Astaa pointed out, ...but as we know: These type of Players won't stay "solo", nor will they be bored by doing it.